Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Brain eating amoeba from carpet?  (Read 254 times)

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Brain eating amoeba from carpet?
« on: March 22, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
I was just playing with my kiddos on the floor and had my face down on the carpet while they were climbing on me and I was breathing normally. Well then I remembered that N. Fowleri (brain eating amoeba) is found in indoor dust and there is a lot of dust in carpet. I'm pretty calm right now, trying not to freak out because I know the odds, but it is still unnerving. Reassurance?
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Brain eating amoeba from carpet?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »
You're not going to get a brain eating amoeba from a carpet.  N. Fowleri is very uncommon.

Reassurance?

Remember, reassurance seeking is a facet of anxiety, and it's a damaging one. Constantly seeking reassurance will not help your anxiety in the long term, only the short term. Have you talked to a professional about your fears?
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 02:53:27 PM »
ANY dust that is in carpeting had been in the air that EVERYONE breathes every single day.   If that were the case almost everyone on earth would have a brain eating amoeba.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:04:38 PM »
Ok, well I'm really freaking out now. I am constantly smelling smoke, as of this afternoon. I've had this before, but nowhere near as strong as right now. This website below describes smoke smell that lasts a under a few minutes is usually neurological - meaning seizures, tumors, ect. And smelling smoke that lasts a few hours to days is usually from olfactory nerve damage (which is the first thing that happens with a brain eating amoeba). Freaking out!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 11:39:08 PM »
DO NOT google!  Its the cardinal sin for us.

Think about it logically…how many trillions of people across the globe play with their kids on the carpet every single day?  How many of them have a brain eating amoeba.  They are incredibly rare!  Your chances of winning the lottery and getting struck by lightning on the same day are greater.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »
I just don't know why this sense of smelling smoke is so strong today. It's almost like when I'm talking I'm breathing it out too. I'm literally trembling and on the verge of tears. I just don't know what to do right now. I'm so scared. I haven't been this scared in a very long time  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:47 AM »
I just don't know why this sense of smelling smoke is so strong today. It's almost like when I'm talking I'm breathing it out too. I'm literally trembling and on the verge of tears. I just don't know what to do right now. I'm so scared. I haven't been this scared in a very long time  :traurig001:

Be rational. As someone said already, your chances of winning the lottery and being struck by lightning on the same day are greater. I'll even add seeing a flying unicorn on top of that. Take it from someone who went through the same N. Fowleri fear. I live in Texas - the state where this amoeba is most common. I used a neti pot with tap water and spent the next 20 days in fear. 50+ days later, I'm still here. Now, getting infected by swimming or using tap water with a neti pot is already EXTREMELY rare. Getting infected from carpet? I've never even heard of that being possible. You are fine, you smell smoke because you "think" you smell smoke. You created it. Stop worrying. See a Dr. about treating your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline JER2911

• Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
  • Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:27:14 AM »
Bpadilla- did you read the message I sent you?
Bookmark and Share
Matthew 6:27  Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 12:28:50 AM »
Does anyone have any suggestions about getting help for anxiety?

I live in a very rural area of New Mexico and we don't have any type of "free mental health clinics" or anything like that. My insurance doesn't cover CBT or any type of therapy, and we personally don't have the money to go into therapy. Like zero extra left over at the end of the month.

I'm hesitant to try medication because there is a possibility of becoming pregnant soon, as well as I've tried meds before and they didn't work for me.

I'm just at my whits end right now. I don't want to live another minute like this (but I obviously don't want to die either. Let me be very clear when I say that I am NOT suicidal.)

Jer2911 - yes, I received that message, and it actually calmed me alot...up until this point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Inevitable7742

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 01:14:49 AM »
One trick thats helped me when im anxious like that is to aknowledge yes i am having a panic attack and to step back and look at it like a cloud floating through the sky, i just watch it float on by.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 03:32:45 AM »
You did not get a brain eating amoeba from your carpet. There are other explanations for phantom smells. Google is always going to scare you.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: