Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: LADIES HELP!! NIPPLE DISCHARGE???!!  (Read 329 times)

Offline Air Nomad

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
LADIES HELP!! NIPPLE DISCHARGE???!!
« on: March 21, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
Okay so my nipples get itchy sometimes with the dry weather, but today I decided to just "make sure" everything was fine (why?  I have no idea).  So while examining my right breast, I accidentally squeezed my nipple and a drop of milky-white watery fluid appeared.  I about lost it.  I tried it again and a few more drops appeared on the surface.  I don't have any other odd symptoms, no weird odor or anything.

I did have a baby 15 months ago but stopped breast feeding 10 months ago.  My left breast never made milk so I only breastfed from my right, which is the one that leaked a bit.  I called my OB/GYN and they want me to come in to have it cultured just in case.  Now I'm really freaked out.  Any possibility this could just be left over milk and not something tragically horrible?  I just don't know why all of a sudden it would do that after so long.

TMI WARNING:  My husband and I did have unprotected sex when I was ovulating about 9 days ago but if I were pregnant, it would be way too early to start producing milk or anything right??

Someone, anyone, please help me!
Bookmark and Share
Sokka: "Do you want me to be like you or be totally honest?"
Katara: "Are you saying I'm a liar?"
Sokka: "No, I'm saying you're an optimist. Same thing really."
(This is me and my husband to a tee)

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: LADIES HELP!! NIPPLE DISCHARGE???!!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:04:40 AM »
I had discharge after having my baby too (she's 26 now so to recall exactly when that happened AFTER the birth, I don't know!)  I only breastfed a few days, but the discharge was WAY after that!!)  Except mine wasn't even milky white.  It was sort of a dark green!  I had gone and had some fluid squeezed out and sent in for sampling (it was nothing - left over old milk)  So you were breastfeeding a LOT longer than me which means your breasts were producing a lot more milk.  I wouldn't worry at all!

And no, you wouldn't already be squeezing out milk if you were only 9 days pregnant!
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
Hi there! I stopped breastfeeding a year ago, and I breastfed for a year. I am still able to get some fluid out of both nipples! I can relate to your fear, I found a painful hard spot in my right breast and I have to wait 3 weeks to get an ultrasound.

Better to have it checked, but I don't think it is abnormal! I would be interested to hear what your doc says. Mine is the exact color of breast milk, also most women who are newly pregnant actually experience a decrease in milk supply!

Hope your fears are put to rest soon!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nelly22

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
My daughter is now 3 (breastfed for a year), and I can still get milk/discharge if I squeeze. My ob/gyn said it's nothing to worry about, she's seen it a lot and some women have it go on for years and years where they actually still leak. If you are worried, go in and get it checked, but I was freaked out at first when I first noticed it. Turns out it's normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »
Thank you all so much.  I went to my OB/GYN and she did a breast exam and all that.  She said everything feels normal and that she didn't think it was anything to worry about.  However, I saw a different dr. than my regular and she asked me if I ever have headaches or vision changes because one reason this can happen is small tumors in the brain near the pituitary gland.  Uhhh, not something I needed to hear right now.

BUT, I don't have any of those things and she said she doesn't think this is anything to worry.  She said if it were cancer or an infection, the discharge would be green or bloody and that the milky color I described was very reassuring.

So I guess I feel a lot better than I did but am still kind of worried :-\  I really want to believe her that it's probably fine but I keep thinking, what if it's not?

EDIT:  She also said that hormone fluctuations could cause this.  Also, that if it only happens when I squeeze or stimulate the breast in some way, it's not concerning.  If it starts happening without doing that, she'd send me for an ultrasound.  Hoping it won't come to that!  The first time it happened this morning, it came out pretty easily when I barely squeezed it.  Now, it seems I have to really squeeze to get anything out.  So maybe it was just a fluke thing?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
Hey, mine was GREEN and it was nothing.   So I wouldn't worry about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Air Nomad

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 07:59:44 PM »
Hey, mine was GREEN and it was nothing.   So I wouldn't worry about it.

True, true.  You have a point.  Thank you :)  You all are wonderful here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
AND I forgot to mention I noticed it the first time when I took my bra off - it stained the inside of my bra - no stimulation even.   So, our bodies can do some weird things just to keep us on our toes!  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: