Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: SJS/TEN  (Read 112 times)

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
SJS/TEN
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
One thing I'm learning as a hypochondriac: no matter how innocuously you Google, it's dangerous.

About a week ago, I was prescribed and started taking azrithomycin for a potential sinus infection. I was talking about it with my mom, and she asked whether or not azrithomycin was the same thing as Zithromax. I Googled it, confirmed that they are in fact one and the same, and spotted a result right near the top: "FDA Warns Antibiotic Zithromax Can Cause Irregular Heart..."

I wasn't actually warned about any side effects when the doctor prescribed me azrithomycin, so I (very intelligently) checked it out. I scrolled all the way to the bottom, and read a comment about someone whose child developed Stevens-Johnson Syndrome after taking azithromycin. And now I'm absolutely terrified I'm going to develop it. I don't have any fever or sore throat, but today I noticed the edges of my tongue look sort of scalloped and my right jawbone is sort of tender, and now I'm freaking out. SJS is ridiculously rare (only about 300 new cases a year), and I didn't actually finish my dose (stopped on Day 2 because the headaches cleared up, so I only finished half), but I just can't get it out of my head.

(As an aside, how many hypochondriacs out there end up getting scared about really rare diseases? I always seem to get super worked up over things with really low incidence rates, like rabies or flesh-eating bacteria, and the worst is that I knew logically my chances of developing these things are astronomical, but I can't get over the, "Well, if it's going to happen to someone..." thing.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
Re: SJS/TEN
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »
I'm exactly like you!  I think well SOMEONE got it before, I'm not EXEMPT!
As for Zythromax, in October I had an infection in a tonsil and was prescribed that, I recalled something bad about it but didn't remember what it was, so I asked the doctor and he said, "All medications have some side effects, if it were that bad it would be off the market"  I was afraid to google it so I just took it.   (I was fine, nothing happened - well yes, something happened, it cleared up the tonsil infection)
Bookmark and Share

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: SJS/TEN
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49:18 AM »
Right? I wish I could stop thinking that way, but it's so hard! I keep trying to improve my diet and exercise more too, so that I sort of feel like I'm putting more of a distance between me and the person it "could" happen to.

Thanks for letting me know! That's a really good thing for your doctor to have said, and I'm going to try really hard to take it to heart. (My throat has been getting sort of achey the last hour or so, and I keep having to remind myself how dry my bedroom is.)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: