Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Paralyzing cancer fear  (Read 319 times)

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Paralyzing cancer fear
« on: March 20, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
I'm 19 years old and I'm terrified of having/getting cancer. It's all I can think about recently and I'm losing sleep over it. I have been on zoloft for a month now and I have felt great and all of my physical symptoms (chest pain, stomach pain, etc.) went away. Any ache or pain makes me think it's cancer. I've been worried about having colon cancer because I had constipation problems, esophagus cancer because my throat hurt randomly, leukemia because I'm so tired and have bloody mucus who I blow my nose, and my biggest worry now is lymphoma but I don't think my lymph nodes are swollen. I don't know what to do anymore :( someone ease my mind?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Paralyzing cancer fear
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:30:45 PM »
Was there a trigger that brought on the fear?

We are bombarded with medical info through media so much it can instill fears.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline Jess0617

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
I know two people who have lymphoma. I have no family history of cancers.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jt23

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 05:03:21 PM »
That's what I don't understand. My biggest fear is lymphoma and I have big nodes. I'm told it's rare. How rare can it be when everyone knows a few people that have it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline rdtect

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:37:49 PM »
As long as you go to your regular medical doctor for exams yearly and you take good care of yourself, what more can you do? Worry is the most unproductive of all human activities!! Cancer runs in my family, my dad had it and so did my uncles, but they were all smokers and didn't take care of themselves!! Modern medicine is a wonderful thing! Take care of yourself and be well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »
Accepting uncertainty is difficult and you are not the only one who has trouble with this.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline inksie

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Excuuuuse me, Princess!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26:12 PM »
You're definitely not alone. :( I have that irrational fear too that minor aches and pains in my body have something to do with cancer too. It's definitely gotten better though over the past couple of months because I have told myself that ALL of these symptoms that I experience in my body are due to me over thinking things. Also, you have to realise that if you are experiencing symptoms that there are MANY different diagnoses for them. Just by having cramps does not mean you have a certain cancer and so on. The internet really doesn't help either and neither does the news, but these forms of media can't diagnose you. You are most likely perfectly healthy. You will get through this though!
Bookmark and Share
Video games help me forget about my troubled HA.

"The flow of time is always cruel... Its speed seems different for each person, but no one can change it... A thing that doesn't change with time is a memory of younger days..." - Sheik.

Offline freeloving

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 03:57:43 AM »
You are definitely not alone. My mother was diagnosed with lymphoma at age 35 and died at 50. Now that i am 40 i keep thinking every little ailment will start my beginning down the same road as her. You know how ridiculous you sound but you cant stop thinking that way. Listen to how ridiculous i sound right now. I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done 5 months ago due to intestinal issues (caused by anxiety). But now i have a itchy throat, and dry cough for the past three weeks. So my mind immediately goes to lung or esophageal cancer. Diagnosis by my dr was allergies. But i cant get rid of the feeling that he missed something even though he had a tube down my throat just 5 months ago. I hear how ridiculous i sound but the doubt wont go away.  So now i turn to acceptance of whatever will be will be. If you dont fear the future you cant spend time worrying about it.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: cancer