Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Things that help with panic attacks  (Read 575 times)

Offline EsotericNonsense

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Things that help with panic attacks
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
I wanted to make a thread of things that people find help with their anxiety attacks

So here is my list
* Hot baths, helps calm the anxious mind and helps with dealing with physical symptoms
* Heating pad, helps sooth stiff muscles
* Exercise, lets me know that my muscles are still working no matter how weird they feel.
* Going outside
* Breathing exercises, what works for each person will very but anything that forces your breathing to slow down is good.
** Breath in and out slowly
** Breath in 3 times filling part of your lungs up each time and then slowly breath out.
* Meditation 
* Listening to music
* Ice cream or chocolate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Freedirt

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Things that help with panic attacks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:14:56 AM »
Hot baths are fuarking great for panic attacks. As is meditation, but I've found it to be more of a long-term treatment than an emergency fix. But that's just me. It's all subjective. I can find myself slipping into OBEs when I meditate. That prospect can get me feeling a little paranoid if an OBE isn't my intention. The same applies to exercise. I try to avoid it when I'm feeling particularly on-edge. I'll get to over-analyzing every little cue from my body and before I know it I'll be squatting in a corner of the locker room on the verge of passing out. Being generally active is really important for one's mental health. Some people just need to be aware of their state of mind before hitting the gym.

Personally, absolute silence has a way of exacerbating attacks like no other. Probably because I'm part of a generation that's been over-stimulated to hell. But it is what it is. I try to keep my mp3 on me when I can.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:06:13 AM »
Ive found... a completely different way. Im reluctant to talk about this and reccomend it to people because, at first glance, it would seem like the worst idea imaginable. But its actaully great.

I scare the crap out of myself on purpose. Scary stories and the like. I do it over and over and over again. It gives me... a focus. something scary to put my fears onto, but that I know will have a finite duration, and can be stopped at any time. I wish I'd figured this out sooner.

I spent so much time trying to avoid fear, that it overwhelmed me when it came. I knew I had to expose myself to it again, until I became familiar with those dread feelings again. Too much time hiding from fear. I'd get it in my head that i was afraid of one thing or another, but no. I was just afraid. Conquering one thing was meaningless, since another would take its place.

I wish I'd figured this out years ago. So just incase you're curious, and I really think you should give it a try (because why not? It may just work.), here's a story about Gristers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztuiSqZPMg
Bookmark and Share

Offline blurredgirl

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:50:02 AM »
When it's available to me, I set an alarm on my clock-radio or my ipod to start playing music in a couple minutes. I find that quiet (silence, if I can get it) is helpful to get my breathing more in order, but after that I need something to snap my attention (and prevent me from getting into a quiet cycle of over-analyzing my thoughts).
Bookmark and Share

Offline Blueberry

• Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:19:20 PM »
Sleep. Except for hypochondria induced attacks, sleeping relieves my stress. I automatically go to bed when I'm stressed, maybe sob and moan for 1 hour, then fall asleep and feel normal.

When I'm stressed due to hypochondria, it's much harder to relax. The only things that help are strenuous exercise and listening to music.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 01:42:07 AM »
Driving seems to be the only thing that helps me with any type of anxiety related issues. By the time I get dressed to go out, grab my wallet and keys usually whatever anxiety I had is gone. If it isn't usually driving around the neighborhood a few times with the radio on is enough to keep my mind busy. For me its driving, but anything that keeps your mind busy and stops you from thinking about your symptoms should help.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: