Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Fear of the doctor... this makes it worse!  (Read 204 times)

Offline Medic Manders

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Fear of the doctor... this makes it worse!
« on: March 20, 2014, 12:14:16 PM »
Does anyone else who suffers from HA have a FEAR of going to the doctor??? I know they say that hypochondria leads to multiple doctors visits, adn test and things like that, but that isn't me! I fear everyday that there is something wrong with me, and mine is transient, one day I have MS and the next day I have a brain tumor, and then I have cervical cancer... but that's only after I have had a heart attack or two/  I haven't had a physical in years. I had my yearly "girl doctor" appointment in October which was fine.. but I'm scared to go for a physical with the bloodwork and everything because I'm convinced they are going to find something wrong with me , and I just don't want to know... is anyone else like this?????? :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Fear of the doctor... this makes it worse!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:14 PM »
I am to an extent.  If it's something they could diagnose with a urine test right there or a quick glance at something, I'm OK with it.  But if it's anything where I have to go for a test and WAIT for results, I can't bring myself to do it.  And if for any reason I think that the only way to diagnose something would be some HUGE test like an MRI, colonoscopy, etc, then I just don't go.  I wait it out.  I feel that if something happened suddenly and stays the same then it's nothing.  I fear so much that a doctor will suggest a test, then at that point I'd think, "Oh no!!!  He thinks it's seriouss!!!!"  Then to have to wait for an appointment for the test, THEN the test results that would push me over the edge!
Even if someone would tell me, "You should see a doctor"  That's it, I'm done!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Medic Manders

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:37:28 PM »
Exactly!!! I don't even want to get routine bloodwork! I know they are going to find something... I was NEVER like this... I went to Dr. Appointments religiously and never had an issue. I developed severe health anxiety after my daughter was born... no real reason, just one day, woke up terrified of doctors, hospitals, and anything else (did I mention, I'm a paramedic.... made for interesting job experience) - I am just terrified they are going to find something wrong with me, and my daughter will be without a mom... I drive 20 miles back and forth to work everyday, on busy highways and back country roads... I know that there is a greater risk of me getting in an accident, than actually being diagnosed with anything life threatening... but I can't convince my HA mind of what my logical mind already knows..... I would probably feel better however knowing that there is nothing wrong, than constantly fearing something wrong....
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:45:03 PM »
Yes, I understand that you'd like to know nothing is wrong rather than always fear it, but I know myself, IF I went let's say for a test - I'd think, "A) they missed something!   B)  Well maybe I didn't have anything THEN, but it came up in the last few months!  So to me it's pointless.  A $5,000 test may make me feel good for about a month or so.  THEN you have the deal of them finding something you had no clue you had and that would NEVER cause symptoms!   For instance someone gets an ultra sound on their liver then they are told a cyst was found on their kidney  - oh but it's nothing at all to be concerned about.  I'd be concerned anyway!  And it would be a NEW thing that I'd never even knew existed.  And for the rest of my life I'd know that cyst was there and worry about it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rapzjan

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
@medic manders - how old was your daughter when anxiety hit you? Mine was around 2.5ys when I was hit my extreme anxiety and hypochondria? Is it related to delayed post postpartum?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:31 PM »
Same here.
I have gone to more drs. and tests in the last 4 years than the previous 16, ( of which was none )
I had thought going would lessen the fears, but it hasn't.  The tests showed some things that drs. never mentioned, but because I got the report copy I now just think about them.  People say every human body has cysts or things ( of which were found ) and if it were a concern, the drs. would have surely said something.  But of course that is not how HA thinks.
So I well understand how others feel.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline 2jrts

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
I am terrified of going to the doctors. I will go for my yearly gynecologist visit and mammogram - and that is it unless there is an issue that has been nagging me for so long that I can't stand it. I went to my primary care doctor a couple years ago for a routine physical and he ran bloodwork - of course my liver enzymes were slightly elevated and he made me get every test in the book (abdominal ultrasound, vials of blood). Nothing ended up being wrong and the enzymes went back to normal when I was retested - but that experience gave me reason enough to not want to go back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »
I actually like going to the doctor's... I get excited to find answers and get reassurance. Plus it's just interesting to talk to someone who's knowledgeable. I'm weird like that.  ;*)
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
I hate going to the Dr.  I basically only go when forced…so for my checkup and if I'm really, really sick.  I have horrible white coat syndrome.  Ironically, anytime my hubby gets so much as a sniffle, I want him to go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Medic Manders

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 12:07:17 PM »
Thank you all... I do the same... everytime something happens to my boyfriend, I'm convincing him to go be seen, when all the while, I don't go to a doctor...  As for the question @Rapzjan - Sam was less than a year old when I developed the "oh my God I am going to die and leave my child motherless" health anxiety (She's 9 now... it's been a long time).. it gets better, it gets worse. I mentioned it to my family doctor at one of Sam's appointments, and he told me he thought it may be hormone linked and told me to tell my OB/Gyn doc.. so I did, and my OB/Gyn doc tells me to go see my family doc aobut it... no one seems to want to help me. I don't want all kinds of crazy tests that I don't need... I just want to feel normal again :( I'm glad I'm not alone in my fears... having you all and this board has helped me survive many a panic attack, and fended off a lot of them too... my therapist said joining a board like this to talk to others who understand is very therapeutic.... so thanks to all and by talking we help each other!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: