Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: liver enzymes  (Read 235 times)

Offline Annie

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
liver enzymes
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:29:02 AM »
In December after having bloodwork for a routine physical it was discovered my GGT level was 105 but the ALT and AST were normal.  In January I had more bloodwork this time the GGT was 63 and ALT 54 and AST 33, in March after more bloodwork GGT was 90 ALT 70 and AST 37.  All other liver stuff is within normal ranges.  Can anyone shed some light?  Since the first bloodwork I have cut out sugar and all bad carbs and alcohol.  I feel that I have done everything in my power to do and the worry from this is ruining my life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
Re: liver enzymes
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:34:31 AM »
I can't really comment without knowing the ranges for your lab.  They vary a lot.

So your ALP (alk phos) was normal? 

GGT is a very variable number and not sure why they would give you a GGT test as part of routine blookwork.  It can vary a lot by food, other drugs you take, lots of things. 

I have PBC (primary biliary cirrhosis) which is an autoimmune liver disease.  My ALP was elevated then rose steadily for years.  My GGT was 553 (normal is 53) a month ago.  They use the GGT to make sure your ALP is not from bone or something else.   I am in the process of getting a liver biopsy to stage my disease.  Your levels don't sound extremely high and a several docs have told me that they don't really don't take huge notice of levels unless they are at least three times normal.

Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline Annie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:58:26 AM »
Thank you for your reply, the normal range for my lab for ALT and GGT is under 45 and the normal range for AST is under 33.  I am scheduled next week for an Ultra sound (which I am super nervous about having) and I have had bloodwork done for autoimmune and hep and iron etc., no results yet.  ALP was 83 and normal range is under 129.
I hope that your biopsy goes well and that you get some good answers.  Are you dealing well with it emotionally?  I have suffered with HA all of my life and my main fear was liver so I feel that I have brought this on myself by a self fulfilling prophecy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ColdHands

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Warm heart, strong mind, struggling liver
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 11:04:53 AM »
Ultrasound of the liver is a piece of cake, not hard at all.  It sounds like they are staying on top of your levels and thats a good thing!  If your ALP is so low the chances of having "active" autoimmune liver disease is low.  However, if you are AMA positive (an antibody test) then you are positive for possible disease later on.  Are they doing an antibody test? I am AMA positive and ANA positive (sign of autoimmune disease)

I'm actually doing ok.  I have my moments and I'm anxious about the biopsy and staging, but I'm also not freaking out.  Its weird, as a sufferer of HA, I can go nuts with the best of them thinking I have something terrible.  Now that I know I have something its kind of like you calm down and get serious about what's next.  I am still assimilating what all this will mean for my life, but I'm doing ok right now.  If I get told my stage is more advanced, not sure what I will do then. 
Bookmark and Share
"There is just one more thing that bothers me."  Columbo

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 03:21:41 PM »
I have suffered with HA all of my life and my main fear was liver so I feel that I have brought this on myself by a self fulfilling prophecy.

You really shouldn't blame yourself. You cannot think yourself into disease. If we could think ourselves into a disease, couldn't we think ourselves out of it? Couldn't we have gotten rid of our HA just by wishing it gone enough? Unfortunately, life doesn't work like that. So don't blame yourself for this. It's coincidental and just how the cards fell - but not your fault.

Do you happen to be overweight by any chance?
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Annie

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to reply.  No I am not overweight, I weigh 123 lbs. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
Well, would you say your diet is good? One possibility with those sort of numbers is Fatty Liver Disease, which TONS of people have. The treatment is just improving your diet and exercising, and it can correct itself!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: