Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Panic Attacks driving on interstate  (Read 238 times)

Offline Scardeygirl

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic Attacks driving on interstate
« on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »
Hello everyone ,
I am new here and was wondering if anyone else has been suffering from the same forms of anxiety and panic attacks as I have. Up until 5 years ago I was pretty fearless...maybe even reckless to a degree. I can clearly remember the first time I had a panic attack. It was while I was driving down the interstate home from work. I saw a car catch fire and it triggered something in me that was just awful. At the time I was working a very stressful job managing a real estate company, not eating right and sleeping very little...plus I was a new mom with a toddler and my husband worked a lot. I was so convinced that the car poisoned me!!!! I had it towed thinking it was leaking Co2 or radiator fluid. I laugh at this now. Once it was confirmed there was nothing wrong with the car, and I continued having these episodes I started inking it was my heart and so started the trips to the ER. We'll it was discovered I had a heart murmur, but that was NOT the cause of my symptoms. I have been through so much in my life and thought I was so strong...it took me a long time and many medical tests to accept that the problem was in my head. Over the past 5 years I have all but cured myself. I bought a Great Dane puppy and trained her in obedience and agility...this did amazing things to help me..gave up my stressful job and started taking better care of me, but I will never be the same as before. There is one thing I have not been able to get past....and that is driving on the interstate. I manage to get where I need to go, but I go way out of my way to avoid the interstate when driving alone. I am sure a lot of that so because where I had the initial panic attack...and some of it is because driving can be a trigger for me. However I need to get past this...does anyone have any ideas to help? I really want to take a road trip soon...plus there are more job opportunities for me if I commute. I think part of it is the feeling of being trapped on the interstate and not able to pull over if I panic.
Thank you all for any help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic Attacks driving on interstate
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:10 AM »
Is your dog too big to travel with you?  Maybe your dog will help break the spell of panic.  Some dogs are trained as therapy dogs and can be helpful.  Used by veterans with PTSD.  I listen to Pass Through Panic by Dr. Claire Weekes repeatedly to counteract panic.  Sometimes while driving.  Whose to say you couldn't stop at the next exit when panic gets overwhelming and get back on when you are ready to move on.  As, Dr. Weekes stated:  doing an activity with panic is just as good as doing an activity without it.  You can do it.  Use what works for you to cope while driving.  Take care
Bookmark and Share

Tags: