Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: 27 year old mom, lump in 1 breast with ultrasound scheduled... Scared  (Read 410 times)

Offline confunded

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hey all! So I basically have no one I can really talk to about this. But for about 4 months I have had a painful lump in my breast. Hurts more after ovulation towards my period. I got tired of watching and waiting, so I made a doctor appointment and went today. He felt it, said it's likely a cyst since I have no family history and sent me on my way.

I'm scared. I know my risk is low for it to be cancer, but it's not impossible. I have a 2 year old, and my fiancée lost his mom to breast cancer. She was 40.

I'm not scared of pain or even losing my hair. I just don't want to die and miss out in my little girls life. I wanted to be a mom my whole life and now I feel so threatened, especially since I left it so many months.

I have other symptoms: elevated d diamer (which can be present with cancer ), sore lymph nodes (imagined?). I have to wait 3 weeks for an ultrasound :(. My mom has dense cystic breasts as well.
I'm only 27. I am not ready to face death and cancer! I don't want to leave my family. How do I deal with this until my ultrasound?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: 27 year old mom, lump in 1 breast with ultrasound scheduled... Scared
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:04:41 PM »
I also suffer from health anxiety (obviously, I guess, or I wouldn't be on this forum) so I feel your pain.  I have a particular fear of breast cancer as I'm BRCA2 positive.  It's obviously easier said than done, especially when you have a symptom like a lump in your breast, but give what your doctor told you and your symptoms, I think you can relax.  I've read quite a bit about breast cancer and know too much for someone who's never had it, and as far as I know it's extremely rare for a  cancerous lump to have pain--usually that's something else, like a cyst.  Also, cancerous lumps are far less likely to be affected by your menstrual cycle.  and given your age, it's even less likely to be cancer.

Remember that the media loves to scare people (that's how they get people to read and consequently make money) so we hear a LOT more about women finding a lump that turns out to be cancer...it's not too exciting to read about a woman feeling a lump, getting scared, and finding out it was just a cyst.  that happens a lot more often but we hear about it a lot less.  Given all these things, along with your family history of cystic breasts, as an objective observer it sounds very, very unlikely it's anything but a cyst.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:41:09 PM »
Just wanted to say, I am praying that all goes well at your ultrasound. I do have cancer and I am afraid of missing out on my 2 year olds life as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billiam

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:37 PM »
I'm sending prayers all you guys way! I hope all goes well for each of you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:27:30 PM »
Just wanted to say, I am praying that all goes well at your ultrasound. I do have cancer and I am afraid of missing out on my 2 year olds life as well.

I am so sad to hear that you are going through a battle for your life, and have a small child. This breaks my heart for you, and I hope that coming here can help you find the strength and support to move forward. I'm not sure of your situation, but I am sending much hope and comfort to you.

Thank you for your support, friends. I am also hoping that this turns out to be a cyst and nothing more. :( there is comfort for me knowing that others with similar fears or experiences are around. I feel alone in my worry.
Bookmark and Share

Offline craftymom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »
The fact that it is painful especially close to your period is good.  Is it round like a marble and moveable?  It sounds like it might be a firbroadenoma.  They are very common in your age group and harmless.  They are fueled by estrogen which explains the pain near your period.  They tend to get big.  I had one at 31 and was sure I was dying.  It was recommended I get it removed if I wanted to get pregnant which I did a few years later because getting pregnant would make it get even bigger and more painful.  It was the most terrifying times in my life.  I think I had to wait a week for a Dr.'s appointment where the Dr. said she was 95% sure it was nothing and another couple weeks after that for an ultrasound.
Bookmark and Share

Offline craftymom

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:57:32 PM »
I just re-read your post about going to the Dr. and he thinks it is a cyst.  That is even better, they can go away on their own.  I'm sure he is sending you for an ultrasound just to cover himself. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline confunded

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 06:59:12 PM »
The fact that it is painful especially close to your period is good.  Is it round like a marble and moveable?  It sounds like it might be a firbroadenoma.  They are very common in your age group and harmless.  They are fueled by estrogen which explains the pain near your period.  They tend to get big.  I had one at 31 and was sure I was dying.  It was recommended I get it removed if I wanted to get pregnant which I did a few years later because getting pregnant would make it get even bigger and more painful.  It was the most terrifying times in my life.  I think I had to wait a week for a Dr.'s appointment where the Dr. said she was 95% sure it was nothing and another couple weeks after that for an ultrasound.

You situation is no word of a lie, exactly like mine. I waited a week to see the doctor, and have to wait 3 more to get the ultrasound! I am wondering if it's what you had as well! Hopefully once we figure out what we are dealing with it will be a smooth fix (or do nothing) from there. I said to my doc that I thought it might be hormonal, as I also have bad cramps for two weeks prior to my period! And when I was on birth control both these problems went away.
Thank you for your response. I feel better reading that. Plus even f it is the big C I really can't do anything right now other than wait and live my life like any other healthy person would.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: