Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Experience with meds anyone??  (Read 166 times)

Offline P25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Experience with meds anyone??
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »
Can anyone tell me if they've taken or currently use Wellbutrin and how it has or hasnt worked for anxiety? I know it is trial and error, but heard good things about Wellbutrin and already had bad experience with Celexa. Celexa severely heightened my anxiety and once I stopped had the whole body zap thing. Anyway Id appreciate any input regarding any meds for severe anxiety! Thx :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Experience with meds anyone??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:20:49 AM »
I was on Wellbutrin for 6 months and it was not the right drug for me.  I have anxiety but no depression and I am naturally a very high energy person...Wellbutrin kept my panic at bay pretty well, but it also turned me manic.  I could not sit still and had more energy than a hyperactive child.  I switched to Zoloft and live had been good ever since.  That being said, if you are depressed/low energy as well as anxious this might be the med for you...the only way to find out is to try.  Good luck and Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Experience with meds anyone??
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 10:26:03 AM »
Hello P25, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...

Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is a non-tricyclic, atypical anti-depressant used primarily to treat depression and aid in smoking cessation.  It is considered to be one of the most "stimulating" of the anti-depressants.  I can be used to treat anxiety disorders, but because of its stimulating nature, it can make anxiety worse in some individuals.

I was started on Wellbutrin when I was first diagnosed with GAD and panic attacks.  For me it made a bad situation worse.  My current psychiatrist told me that she uses Wellbutrin for her patients that are so depressed that they can't get off the coach, and doesn't really use it to treat anxiety disorders.

As with all anti-depressants though, keep in mind that what works for you, might not work for me, and vice-versa.

I was started on Celexa some 4-5 months ago, and am doing quite well on it.  Celexa (Citalopram) is considered one of the more "calming" anti-depressants.  I am not certain how long you were on Celexa, P25, but it is actually the norm to see an increase in anxiety when starting a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).  This is a side effect of these anti-depressants.  My anxiety went through the roof when I started Celexa, but after several weeks, the anxiety returned to baseline.  I would now say that I am 90% improved over the way I felt some 4-5 months ago.

Anti-depressants are worth their weight in gold, but there are other things you can do to also help with anxiety disorders.  Thes include therapy, exercise, and the use of omega 3/fish oil.

The very best to you, P25!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: