Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Chronic Left Flank Pain (Sciatica? Anyeurism? Kidney Failure?)  (Read 430 times)

Offline ScaredBunny

• Hyperanxious Rabbity Thing
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • Poke This Member
Hey everyone, me again! Back in December, I started having this unusual flank pain on my left side. You can pinpoint the exact location of my discomfort if you rest your hand on your hip bone (like you're putting your hand on your hip), then move it back several inches. Sometimes, if I move my body a certain way, it radiates further down and slightly inward until it's, uhm, right above my butt cheek. :P Could this be sciatica? I was checked for a kidney infection/UTI, but that wasn't it. Some days the pain is pretty bad, other days I can't feel it. Of course, I'm dumb and I Googled "flank pain", only to be faced with the prospect that it could be an abdominal aortic anyeurism. That's one of my big fears, so I'd love some reassurance. It's a dull ache, kind of feels like a sore/pulled muscle, but the fact that it won't go away makes me think that it's some kind of chronic issue. I have a job that requires me to sit for long periods of time-- could this cause some kind of back pain in one particular area? I just wonder why it hasn't radiated to the right side. Weird! They didn't check my kidney function in Urgent Care, but they did do a few urine tests/cultures, so I'm hoping that those would rule out some kind of serious kidney problem, like kidney failure. I don't need something else to worry about.

Thanks you so much for any help in advance. This forum has really eased my anxiety! You're all wonderful, and I wish you all the best with your own personal fears. :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
Re: Chronic Left Flank Pain (Sciatica? Anyeurism? Kidney Failure?)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:01:16 AM »
Does sound like sciatica.   I had some weird pains kind of around that area on the left hip.  Looked at a picture of the human body and there are NO organs there at all.  Has to be a muscle or nerve pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ScaredBunny

• Hyperanxious Rabbity Thing
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:57:49 PM »
I sure hope so! I think I'm going to see my doctor about it, but I didn't want to run to her immediately like I've done so many times in the past. Thank you for the response. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline NeverAgain2

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:47:24 AM »
Hey everyone, me again! Back in December, I started having this unusual flank pain on my left side. You can pinpoint the exact location of my discomfort if you rest your hand on your hip bone (like you're putting your hand on your hip), then move it back several inches. Sometimes, if I move my body a certain way, it radiates further down and slightly inward until it's, uhm, right above my butt cheek. :P Could this be sciatica? I was checked for a kidney infection/UTI, but that wasn't it. Some days the pain is pretty bad, other days I can't feel it. Of course, I'm dumb and I Googled "flank pain", only to be faced with the prospect that it could be an abdominal aortic anyeurism. That's one of my big fears, so I'd love some reassurance. It's a dull ache, kind of feels like a sore/pulled muscle, but the fact that it won't go away makes me think that it's some kind of chronic issue. I have a job that requires me to sit for long periods of time-- could this cause some kind of back pain in one particular area? I just wonder why it hasn't radiated to the right side. Weird! They didn't check my kidney function in Urgent Care, but they did do a few urine tests/cultures, so I'm hoping that those would rule out some kind of serious kidney problem, like kidney failure. I don't need something else to worry about.

Thanks you so much for any help in advance. This forum has really eased my anxiety! You're all wonderful, and I wish you all the best with your own personal fears. :action-smiley-065:

I think I remember you from December.  I think I also mentioned that it is most likely stress/anxiety/depression, unless you have tests that show something wrong, but I think they will find...nothing.  Here is what I suggested, I think, back then: when a person is stressed, little by little you get a "flight or fight" reflex, which is a cringing, and it causes side (flank) pain, shoulder and back pain, and will sometimes involve the entire side which you are cringing.  You can keep on going for tests, but it is an anxiety problem, and you must work on understanding what your thoughts are doing to you and try to change them. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: