Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: PTSD after accident  (Read 201 times)

Offline Wakeboarder88

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
PTSD after accident
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:59:19 PM »
Hi all,
I know this won't be long or very detailed. In 2011 I was diagnosed with PTSD, about two months after I was involved in a bad car accident. I get panic attacks while driving, and still avoid the road the accident happened on. I recently started therapy, and it seems to be making my anxiety worst. Has that happened to anyone else?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: PTSD after accident
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:52:37 AM »
Common thing. You link that road with what happened in the past. You therapist is trying to get you to understand that this can happen on any road. Not just on that one road. So it is not like that one road is a bad road and you should avoid it at all times. But as you have the memories of the crash on that road it makes you panic if you ever have to go that direction. Maybe, just maybe, let another person drive and see how you are on the same road as a passenger. See if it is any different at all. You might still feel some panic / anxiety. But over time if you keep going back to the same road the anxiety will get weaker. The more you accept it is not the road that is dangerous. It just so happened it was on that road you were unlucky. Could have been any road.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Tags: