Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Need Some Reassurance  (Read 203 times)

Offline mjennings

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need Some Reassurance
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »
I have not posted on here in a while. I was doing very well about a month ago and now I am heading back down. For a while I had my physical symptoms licked but I am starting to loose control. My fears of an underlying illness are flying out of control. First thing I do is go to WebMD and put in my symptoms. Funny thing is that the second "diagnosis" on the WebMD list is Generalized Anxiety Disorder. The reason I decided to post is because I felt like I was on the verge of passing out. I work in the IT industry and it is a fast paced job. Earlier this morning I had a hundred different things coming at me and I became very dizzy and faint. As soon as all the issues were resolved my symptoms dissipated. 

I am worried about the constant dizziness (faintness), fatigue, random pains all over the body, vision change (blurry, hard to focus) and lack of balance. All these symptoms can be caused by anxiety but I can't get myself to believe it. My father passed away from a sudden illness (brain aneurysm) about five years ago and starting last August I have become a hypochondriac. I am constantly in fear of my heart stopping, a sudden illness killing me, cancer, brain tumors, etc. I also have developed this weird fascination with death and the afterlife. No, I am not suicidal nor do I have homicidal thoughts. I have become obsessed with finding proof of an afterlife. I believe the reason for that is so I can tell myself all this suffering will be for something.

If anyone has suffered or is suffering like I am, please let me know. I really need to hear that I am not alone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billiam

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need Some Reassurance
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
Hey hope all is well. I'm in your same boat. I'm always worried that I'll drop dead out of nowhere! The chances are slim and I know it but then I think there's still a chance. I think not having control and the unknown scares me also which causes anxiety and panic. I'm going to ask my doc about meds(I'm also scared of meds also) but hey it's worth a shot!
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »
I think I share many of your symptoms... You are not alone!

Mine started almost 2 months ago, at the beginning of February. At first I would get them on and off, some bad days and some good days - lately it's been every single day.

I feel a sort of dizziness, like I'm drugged or something and I feel my eyes are heavy and don't focus well. I have to squint to feel like I'm actually focusing and my eyes often stare blankly when I relax. I'm also tired and sleepy, especially after 8pm (I used to have trouble falling & staying asleep just a month before these symptoms and went to bed at 3am, now it's hard to keep awake at 9pm!). I also have trouble waking up in the morning, feel sleepy and dizzy. Sometimes when I wake up during the night ((I do that at least 1-2 times) I feel dizzy as well.

I don't know it's so bizarre, like I'm trapped behind a glass wall or something. I have brain fog. My eyes are heavy and my eyebrows hurt from squinting. I feel tension in my  neck and in my throat. I feel pressure behind my nose and sometimes in my ears. It's horrible, I FEEL like I can't focus well, but when I need to drive, work, think I can do it OK. However I'm sleepy and drowsy, yawn a lot... feel tired but physically I'm apt, I can climb stairs, to sit-ups etc.

This whole circus started after 2-3 months of INTENSE, debilitating everyday health anxiety and worry. I hope it's because of anxiety that I'm feeling like that and it's not some cancer or brain tumour or what not.

During the last 4 months I've had abdominal ultrasound, cervical MRI (that also captured much of my brain), bloodwork (CBC, iron, glucose etc.), urine tests... they were all perfect. My thyroid was a bit on the hypo side, but within normal range so my endocrinologist reassured me that the thyroid cannot cause my symptoms. She was very sure of that. My TSH was 4.1 and maximum was 4.2, my T4 was normal and my T3 was 1.26 and 1.3 was minimum. She told me I'm absolutely fine and these minor variations mean nothing, that 1.26 is basically the same as 1.3... and that my T4 & TSH were good so no way I have anything wrong with my thyroid.

So yeah, I'm confused. But I think it must be anxiety, even if my thyroid is a bit low (although my doc STRONGLY disagrees) - it could actually be a consequence of  my constant STRESS and cortisol that I've been pumping for months.

I hope you'll stick around & let me know if things get any better. I will do the same... it actually helps to know many people with anxiety have these symptoms and they don't have any terminal illness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline psychopika

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Whatever doesn't kill you fucks you up mentally
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 07:15:19 AM »
Oh and BTW WebMD symptoms checker pegged my symtoms as either Middle Ear Infection, Depression, Sleep apnea or Generalized Anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 07:30:27 AM »
It never ceases to astound me what our brain can do to us. Drive us nuts. These days there is just too much we can read to make us even crazier. We think there must be answers for everything, including life and death.

The best we can do is learn to like and love ourself and those around us. We have little knowledge or control over much else. But we can read and learn and find our way to help ourself. For some it is a therapist or meds or CBT, etc. It can actually be a nice trip to self discovery.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:34 AM »
Light headedness is my worst anxiety symptom.  I feel that if I didn't have that then my anxiety would be way better.  When we get stressed we tend to take short shallow breaths which triggers hyperventilation. We all worry about our health too.  My uncle died of an unexpected heart attack in his 40's, my aunt died of complications to diabetes (which I have).

With my health I just try to reassure myself.  I see a my DR every 4 months. Get my A1C checked and get a full metabolic panel.  If I get the all's ok from my doctor than I try my best not to worry.  It's impossible to get checked for every possible known disease. My advice is don't google or use WebMD.  A headache could be a sign of cancer, or just eye strain from reading a monitor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline naynaydevil2

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »
I'm in the same boat. My anxiety is pretty bad lately after having a pretty good year with it. I've had a headache for a month straight....Ive seen my gp, an eye dr, an ent and a neurologist. I'm actuallly going for a second opinion to another neurologist on wednesday. BUT---- -that is the problem with anxiety--- that I keep seeking reassurance from several drs. knowing they have all said that I am ok.

Even when I'm not symptomatic ...I still get that "i'm going to drop dead any second" thought randomly. It's very intrusive and annoying. I feel like I'm going to have to die young and leave my kids! It's a very miserable way to live.

I'm playing around with meds right now with my psych and getting into therapy soon. good luck!! and know you are not alone!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: