Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Psychiatrist Changed my Meds Today  (Read 191 times)

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Psychiatrist Changed my Meds Today
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:36:27 PM »
Hey all,

Ok, so as some of you may know, I was prescribed Paroxetine 12.5mg by my General Physician until I could get into an appointment with my psychiatrist. The psych is hard to get into, so I had to wait about two to three weeks. Today I finally got into seeing him.

Initially on the Paroxetine I felt dizzy and out of it. I still kind of feel that way, but not as bad. Then, as you may head read in my other thread, my stomach started to bother me last Wednesday... Bad. I left work early and took off Thursday and Friday.

Anyway, this new Psychiatrist (Well, I saw him like 9-10 years ago) is *REALLY* good. He's hard to get into, and he's a director or some higher up at a major hospital here in his respective area. He didn't just sit me down and throw medicine at me -- we actually talked. He even went into the fact that yes, the pharmaceutical company does have a dark side. When he started he said that they'd bribe him and others in his field with elaborate trips and such, but he never took those trips or anything. Now he doesn't even allow anyone under him to take anything except to go to luncheons.

Regardless, he told me to cease taking the Paroxetine 12.5mg right away. No tapering off -- he said that the amount I was taking for the duration of time in which I was taking it was minimal. I may experience some side effects, but... Whatever.

He also told me to look further into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and said that he believes in meditation. He is honestly open to anything. Even when I talked about the holistic route I took for awhile, he seemed more open to it moreso than ANY other psychiatrist I've seen. He went into breathing and the importance of breathing and the evolution of breathing and how the creation of a human civilization has altered our breathing and how it was meant to work in comparison to our caveman days.

So now he put me on:
*Fluoxetine HCL 10mg*
*Propranolol 10mg (3x per day)

*He prescribed me tablets. He wants me to cycle into it. So the first four days I take a half, then the next four days I take a full, then the next four days I take 15mg (1 and a 1/2), then the next four days 20mg, and then last 25mg four days after. He did say, however, if I started feeling "good" that I should stop at the dosage in which I feel better. I take the respective dosage once per day.

He also prescribed me more Xanax (.25mg) as needed.

I know that there are many better versed in these medicines compared to me. How does this sound? Will it be bad to stop taking the Paroxetine? Will the Prozac (Fluoxetine) help the transition?

He said that the Propranolol will help settle my body from the adrenaline from anxiety.

I see him again in a month.

Suggestions? Advice?

Thanks for all of the support from before and in the future!
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 105
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Psychiatrist Changed my Meds Today
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:27:18 AM »
Will it be bad to stop taking the Paroxetine? Will the Prozac (Fluoxetine) help the transition?

I wouldn't expect much in the way of withdrawal effects as you were on only a low dose for a couple of weeks. The fluoxetine will take some of the load anyway.

He prescribed me tablets. He wants me to cycle into it. So the first four days I take a half, then the next four days I take a full, then the next four days I take 15mg (1 and a 1/2), then the next four days 20mg, and then last 25mg four days after. He did say, however, if I started feeling "good" that I should stop at the dosage in which I feel better.

The ramp is okay, but IMHO you should take at least 20mg/day to make sure neurogenesis is initiated. Some people also get an initial placebo effect that can have them thinking the med is working at a low dose only to have it blow up on them at some point.

He said that the Propranolol will help settle my body from the adrenaline from anxiety.

Propranolol is a beta-adrenergic blocker which reduces the physical effects of the flight-or-fight adrenaline surge.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags: