Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lump in underarm = panic  (Read 1033 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 56
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lump in underarm = panic
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
Thanks for the info.  It seems to have improved on its own - I was pretty sick for a while, with a sneaky sickness that kept faking me out, seemed like it was gone, and kept coming back.  Unfortunately, I gave it to my mom during one of the periods I thought I was better :/  I still don't feel great - heavy chest, cough, more fatigued than usual, underarms still sore though I don't feel the lump as readily - but it's an improvement. 

I'm pretty sure someone coughed on me on the crosstown bus a few weeks ago...I blame them...  :laugh3:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 11:32:04 PM »
Body glands will swell to fight off whatever virus you had.   Good to hear it is improving.  Yay!
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
Turns out it's not - it's still there, possibly bigger, maybe just the same size; not sure how I missed it before.  Maybe I just wasn't checking thoroughly because the underarm soreness went away for a bit - it's back.  Both sides, same place, but not where the lump actually is.  It does feel more or less like the nodes on my neck that swelled up after I developed scalp eczema, so I guess it's probably benign, but I'm still concerned - even if it's not cancerous, it's been there for a month or more, which seems to imply that whatever the cause is, it's not getting better.  One of those times where I'm really not sure what's the smart thing to do healthwise vs. am I being overly anxious. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 09:09:45 PM »
May have been mono.  The course of your illness sounds as such.  Once lymph nodes swell, they can take awhile to go back down...may never go back down sometimes if scar tissue sets up.  With that said, to be on the safe side you need some basic blood work to check your white count and such.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 04:22:14 AM »
I don't think it was mono, because my 71 year old mother caught it from me, and I feel like she's surely had it by now.  It's possible, though, because I have no CLUE what it was.

It was so odd.  Really never been sick like that before.  Not that it was the worst sickness ever, but I felt terrible one day, basically fine for a few days, then BAM, super-sick for a week.  It tricked me into thinking I was well!  I really hope I didn't infect anyone - I was at the theatre three times that week.  Giving it to my mom was bad enough.  She got it a lot worse than I did. 

What concerns me is that it definitely is bigger than it was before, but only slightly.  Hence the usual lymphoma fears.  Also, I still have a cough that's aggravated by things like climbing stairs, and it's been weeks.   

Also, something else weird about this bug - despite the nasal and chest congestion, my mucus stayed clear the whole time, no yellow or green that usually signals the body's response to an infection.  Literally never had that before.  It's not disturbing me so much as it is bewildering me.  This whole illness has just been so strange!

I really am worried about lymphoma though, just like I used to.  So frustrated, because I thought I was improving with my HA.  And yet even as I type this, my brain is going "well, it's different this time; it's not HA, you clearly do have cancer now!"  Warring brain factions, and I don't know which to listen to.

I'll be calling the doctor to make an appointment on Monday.  I am, at least, getting  better at listening to what doctors tell me.  I hope I don't lose that, too.

Thanks for replying, BTW, and I'll ask my doctor about mono when I see him.  I'm curious to know WHAT this was and if he's had other people with it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 10:17:09 AM »
My husband had some kind of REAL bad cold for about a week, even took a day off work which he NEVER does!!  He said, "Oh another guy at work, his wife and daughter have it and it's weird, they were sick a day or 2 thought they were better and got it back a few days later worse"  I was talking to my mom 2 weeks ago and said "Your father is getting so disgusted, he thinks his cold is getting better then it comes back!"  Now you are saying this - sounds like it's this year's "bug"!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 02:07:21 PM »
I get underarm lumps too, I actually get them in a few places, they're harmeless most likely, sometimes from friction.
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing fine, it's all trial and error...

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
Hope your dad and husband are feeling better!  This thing is so weird.  I guess it's more likely that it's behind my giant lymph node, but I can't stop worrying all the same.  Sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:08 PM »
Seeing my doctor tomorrow.  Really nervous and don't want to go. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything