Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lump in underarm = panic  (Read 1034 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 56
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lump in underarm = panic
« on: March 17, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
I've been trying to deal with my health anxiety on my own as much as possible, but I'm having a ton of unrelated anxiety as it is, and now I'm over the edge.

I've had some mild underarm soreness for a few weeks now, and checked occasionally to see if I had any lumps, swelling, ingrown hairs, etc, and found nothing, so I figured it was muscular (I lean on my left arm when I type, not a great habit).  Today I found one, high up and deep in there, hidden away where I never checked before (I've gotten lumps in this exact spot before, actually, and they hide so darn well for all I know this is the same one that's been slowly growing all this time.  I know it's unlikely, but I'm scared anyway).  It doesn't hurt when I touch it, but I guess it being there is enough to cause some mild soreness.  I can't tell what shape it is, etc.   

Lymphoma is one of my biggest fears because it's so hard to diagnose, and I've been having some pain in the collarbone areas as well, though I don't feel any lumps (but I haven't checked too thoroughly, because I know well enough how aggressive checking can cause swelling that wasn't there before.) 

So I'm back into full on freakout mode with no memory of how to get out of it. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 79
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lump in underarm = panic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:47 AM »
Odds are it is something benign, such as a Lipoma, but I would get it checked out anyway, to at least help ease your fears.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:14:23 PM »
If I don't feel better tomorrow I'll make an appointment.  I have a mild sore throat and my neck feels swollen.  Both underarms are sore, but only one has a lump (doesn't hurt when touched though).  I know I probably picked up a virus or something, but I can't stop worrying that it's cancer. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline JunoX

• Rec's: 20
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Where the mind goes, the body follows.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:22 PM »
Under arm lumps are actually very common. I've had giant ones and they so get extremely sore, sometimes for weeks on end. Doctor has never found a problem with them.
Bookmark and Share
“Only to the extent that we expose ourselves over and over to annihilation can that which is indestructible be found in us."
~Pema Chödrön

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
I think I'm definitely getting sick - I feel generally icky.  Had theatre tickets tonight and tomorrow...gonna try to rally and go tomorrow but not going anywhere tonight.  My throat/neck feels swollen (can't tell if it really is), sore throat, drippy nose, very sore underarms.  Blah.  I know I shouldn't worry, but I always do.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:05:39 PM »
And I'm googling again.  Sigh.  I know this is a terrible idea.  Why do I do it?

Naturally everything says lymphoma, but I don't feel swellings in most spots, just the one lump.  Just a ton of soreness in the neck, clavicle and underarm areas, and occasionally groin.  So I don't even really think that's it, but I worry anyway. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
Most likely a swollen sweat gland - I get them all the time.  Put a hot compress on it and see if it doesn't get better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 27
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:44 AM »
I got an infection in a cut in my hand one time, woke up with my arm aching REALLY bad and a HUGE lump under my arm.   So if you had anything bad, you'd KNOW it (and a hand infection isn't even bad, nothing a few antibiotics didn't clear up - I guess I should say if you had something really wrong, you'd know it!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 01:59:20 AM »
Thanks.  I feel really weird, besides both my underarms aching, my groin aches a bit too, along where the nodes would be, and my collarbones.  The pain is symmetrical and it seems unlikely that I'd have cancer everywhere all at once, but I do wonder if I have some kind of infection going on.  My sore throat is better but still there, and I'm still congested.  I'm also super-tired and having trouble breathing, but not, like...in an alarming way?  My chest just feels really heavy, like I have to really heave to take a breathe.  Tight muscles maybe?  I'm pretty tense these days.  Guess I'll wait and see if it gets better on its own before I see a doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 38
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »
There is a significant lymphatic system under both arms but especially the left arm.  The left axilla deal with most of the bodies lymphatic fluid.  So an underarm lymph node being a bit large is rarely concerning.  Some are so deep, you may have just never noticed it before.  I have a large one on both sides...left greater than right.  It can get sore as well...mostly if I play with it :)  So, get checked out by your doc, get some blood work to check out your counts but don't stress over it.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Tags:

anything