Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: feel like I'm destined to get melanoma, need some knowledge and info on the subj  (Read 243 times)

Offline mustardtiger56

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
So I found out yesterday that my 86 y/o grandmother has been dealing with melanoma. She is getting older and things like this do happen frequently in her age. Then I began to  think back and worry about the times I have been sunburned as a child. I'm 18 now but remember getting a peeling sunburn while on vacation laat year which apparently increases the chances of melanoma 2x.  I have about 50 moles which also puts me at risk as well as a few that seem slightly irregular but non cancerous according to my doctor. I was also sunburnt at least once a year as a kid growing up and remember the pain and sometimes heat exhaustion I would get after sunburn. Is it normal to get sunburnt like I did with the peeling etc? Or is that considered severe? Also how many times have you guys been sunburnt,is once or twice a year normal?
Any reply would be appreciated immensely
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
I have a lot of moles and got sunburned a LOT as a kid and even as a teen. I don't get them much now because I don't go outside that often (lol). If you have fair skin, it's a thing that happens very commonly. I've even gotten sun poisoning from a sunburn before. There is not a "normal" amount of sunburn to get.

Your grandmother getting melanoma does not mean that you will. You also remember that she has 86 YEARS of skin damage under her belt. In addition to that, it doesn't have to happen because of sun damage. Someone with no sunburns in their life could get it.

An increased risk isn't a guarantee that you'll get it.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I used to get horrible sunburns as a child.  Complete with peeling etc.  I'm much more careful as an adult and only get them every few years.

The best thing you can do is get checked yearly by your Dr.  Early detection is the key.  I've had 2 moles removed and both were benign.

I'm very fair skinned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mustardtiger56

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Would you guys consider a peeling sunburn severe? I live in Canada so I try to make the most of the 4 months of summer we get and have gotten burnt at least once a year for the last 18 years. The worst I had was when I was vacationing in the Cayman islands and the skin peeled off on my shoulders, thinking back to that worries me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Peeling skin doesn't necessarily mean "severe." Depends on your skin type. Some people peel easier than others.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: