Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: pretty sure i have hodgkin's lymphoma  (Read 670 times)

Offline sally1959

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
pretty sure i have hodgkin's lymphoma
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »
So here is a symptom that I've been ignoring because I thought it meant nothing, but there is a swollen lymph node on my neck that becomes extremely painful when I drink alcohol. It will cause a stabbing pain on the left side of my neck that will usually grow into a full blown headache and it wont go away until the next day after I sleep.

I didn't realize this was a symptom of lymphoma, but now I wish I hadn't ignored it :( I just stopped drinking alcohol.

I googled it because there is ANOTHER swollen lymph node beside my right ear, it's small like a pea but really hard. I woke up five times last night because it would get sudden stabbing pains, so I googled it. It usually doesn't hurt, though.

I also had a big, unexplained weight loss last year (about 25 lbs). Now I am really freaking out. I went to a doctor THREE times but they didn't test me for anything! I'm so stressed that it's so hard to get a doctor to test you for a disease. I want biopsies and an MRI, but doctors just prescribe antibiotics and say come back in a month, and then they prescribe more antibiotics if the first round didn't work.

Can someone help me? What do I do to get tests?
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: pretty sure i have hodgkin's lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
Go back to the doctor you originally saw and tell them about the pain you experience when you drink alcohol.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 06:50:13 PM »
Just for an update, I went to the doctor and she prescribed antibiotics and told me to come back in a month...

Also I may be wrong about my 25 lb weight loss, as I told her I experienced a "dramatic" weight loss along with my other symptoms and she said, "You weigh the exact same amount you did a year ago." So maybe my weight is just fluctuating in a normal, not dramatic way? I did lose weight in the summer but I must have gained it back in the winter. It just goes to show that even this symptom I was sure meant something bad, turned out not to really even exist... crazy what anxiety can convince us of.

She asked me if I had night sweats, and I said no, so she didn't really seem worried. That's a good sign, right?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Melissa509

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 07:21:02 PM »
A childhood friend was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma a few years ago. Her symptoms were lump on back of her neck and back pain. Hodgkins Lymphoma can be cured if caught early. So if you feel you have it, demand you be tested. I pray it's not though!
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:12:07 PM »
Just for an update, I went to the doctor and she prescribed antibiotics and told me to come back in a month...

Also I may be wrong about my 25 lb weight loss, as I told her I experienced a "dramatic" weight loss along with my other symptoms and she said, "You weigh the exact same amount you did a year ago." So maybe my weight is just fluctuating in a normal, not dramatic way? I did lose weight in the summer but I must have gained it back in the winter. It just goes to show that even this symptom I was sure meant something bad, turned out not to really even exist... crazy what anxiety can convince us of.

She asked me if I had night sweats, and I said no, so she didn't really seem worried. That's a good sign, right?

Basically you are saying you have no symptoms of lymphoma, just 2 swollen lymph nodes - no, you are fine!  You'd also have fever, fatigue with lymphoma.  You don't have those, do you?
Bookmark and Share

Offline pinkflydthebarbr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 12:16:25 AM »
I sincerely think you're ok! Did you ever find out your answer?

I constantly think I have hodgkins, but my symptoms are way more indicative of it than yours.

I hope you are ok  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sally1959

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »
Went to more doctors, everyone said I'm fine. Just for an update
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »
Glad to hear it.  Did you have further testing?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: