Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Remeron for intense anxiety/health OCD, and optimal dosage  (Read 183 times)

Offline Alucard

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Remeron for intense anxiety/health OCD, and optimal dosage
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:55 AM »
Alright, I've had a very intense fear of schizophrenia since I had a bad drug experience and thought I was losing my mind three weeks ago. I, like a jack ass, unfortunately looked up all the symptoms of schizo (hallucinations, delusions, memory loss, social withdrawal) and am convincing myself that I have all of them (minus the hallucinations, those are heard to create without the illness). This fear is really hurting any progress I'm trying to make in life, and so I began taking Ativan for the panic attacks I've begun to have and Remeron as sort of a maintenance thing for now. My psychiatrist prescribed me Remeron when I was worrying about other illnesses (like cancer) but I never ended up taking it (not after Zoloft messed with me so much). Now, it seems as if I have no choice. This new fear is so overwhelming. I've never experienced anything this terrifying or consuming before. I'm currently on 15 mg and have been taking it for two weeks. When will it kick in? Is it possible that it's making my anxiety worse? Should I stay at 15 mg or increase the dose? I'm grateful for any input.

*And I don't mean to offend anyone who does have schizophrenia. Just as I never meant to offend anyone with cancer or MS or ALS when I was freaking out about those. It's just the nature of my OCD and anxiety. When I fixate on something that could potentially make my life harder, I catastrophize it. I'm sure there are plenty of people with schizophrenia who have their condition under some level of control and who you'd never tell had it unless they told you. Logically that makes me feel better, but my fear is still rampant.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Remeron for intense anxiety/health OCD, and optimal dosage
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »
My psychiatrist prescribed me Remeron when I was worrying about other illnesses (like cancer) but I never ended up taking it (not after Zoloft messed with me so much). Now, it seems as if I have no choice. This new fear is so overwhelming. I've never experienced anything this terrifying or consuming before. I'm currently on 15 mg and have been taking it for two weeks. When will it kick in? Is it possible that it's making my anxiety worse? Should I stay at 15 mg or increase the dose? I'm grateful for any input.

You should really be running all this past your psychiatrist, especially the dosing. However, 15mg/day is at the low end of the therapeutic range and you may need to take 30-45mg for good results. It will also likely take longer than 2 weeks for it to kick-in, perhaps up to 12 weeks. And yes, as with all antidepressants it may make anxiety worse in the first few weeks.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.