Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can anxiety alone be the ROOT CAUSE of twitching?  (Read 674 times)

Offline AP151

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
Can anxiety alone be the ROOT CAUSE of twitching?
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:07:45 AM »
Is it likely that anxiety over MS is creating the twitching? Not just possible, but likely? Could anxiety be the root cause?
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline bittersweetlife

• Rec's: 1
    Stressed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can anxiety alone be the ROOT CAUSE of twitching?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:15:39 AM »
Yes dear! Muscle twitch is usually caused by Anxiety or sometimes emotional stress. I've been twitching all over my body so is my eyelids! As far as i remember that was on early 2013 and i came to the point of MS/ALS fears and not to mention Brain Tumor fear! But someone told me that twitching caused by MS or ALS are localized and may cause debilitating tiredness on the affected area or sometimes they call it muscle spasms! Also it is usually a late symptom of MS or ALS not sudden.

I bet 90% members of AnxietyZone are experiencing twitching with their Anxiety. You are fine, #fingerscrossed

hugs.
Bookmark and Share
"There's a time & a place to die.. but this ain't it"

Hakuna Matata - "It means no worries"

“Anxiety's like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you very far.” - Jodi Picoult, Sing You Home

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:50 AM »
I hear conflicting things in whether or not it's just localized at first. If it is just a localized thing at first, I'd be so happy! That'd prove it's just anxiety for me. My twitching has "spread" everywhere over the course of a week since reading about the disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:44:17 AM »
Anyone else?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:54:36 AM »
I'm also struggling with this sort of cramp like feeling in my left leg. It's weird. It just feels tight, and my foot is cold but not numb.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
My twitching has "spread" everywhere over the course of a week since reading about the disease.

This right there tells you it's anxiety...as you read your symptoms increase.  There's was a post in the last few weeks about someone who's neurologist, after several tests, confirmed for her that all of the twitching was directly attributable to anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
My twitching has "spread" everywhere over the course of a week since reading about the disease.

This right there tells you it's anxiety...as you read your symptoms increase.  There's was a post in the last few weeks about someone who's neurologist, after several tests, confirmed for her that all of the twitching was directly attributable to anxiety.

Could you give me a link to this one? If not it's okay.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
I went a couple pages back and didn't see it.  If you search you should be able to find it easily enough.

There's also a sticky that might help:  http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,28715.0.html
Bookmark and Share

Offline Karloff29

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »
I have recently begun to deal with muscle twitching. My logical assumption is that it is normal, benign and related to stress, but I can't shake the fear that it is Multiple Sclerosis. My twitches occur more in my legs, but occur all over my body as well. My doctor says that they are related to anxiety and stress, but how can I convince myself that they are?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
I have recently begun to deal with muscle twitching. My logical assumption is that it is normal, benign and related to stress, but I can't shake the fear that it is Multiple Sclerosis. My twitches occur more in my legs, but occur all over my body as well. My doctor says that they are related to anxiety and stress, but how can I convince myself that they are?

Million dollar question for us hypos. How can we convince ourselves? I'm going through the exact same thing as you. When I'm being rational, I think it's all in my head. I'm causing the twitching by stressing. But my fearful mind says it has to be MS. Though the odds are heavily against it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alphaba79

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 12:34:44 PM »
I've felt every sensation possible in my extremities as well as down my spine, on my head, my chest, abdomen, etc...

I've felt twitching, burning, cold, hot, electrical shock sensations, buzzing, numbness, you name it!
I also have tremendous worry about MS and ALS but what helped me is looking up actual people who have been diagnosed with MS and seeing what they experienced at the onset of their symptoms. It seems that blurred vision is extremely common as well as localized twitching or buzzing. Most people report feeling numbness/buzzing/twitching in one leg or one hand.

I don't think I have MS and I don't think you do either! Anxiety and constant release of stress hormones can really make your nervous system completely out of sorts. Do you shiver/tremble during episodes of anxiety/panic attacks? I do and afterwards, my muscles and nerves are all tenses up and more likely to buzz or twitch.

Isn't anxiety grand?  :sprachlos020:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »
I've felt every sensation possible in my extremities as well as down my spine, on my head, my chest, abdomen, etc...

I've felt twitching, burning, cold, hot, electrical shock sensations, buzzing, numbness, you name it!
I also have tremendous worry about MS and ALS but what helped me is looking up actual people who have been diagnosed with MS and seeing what they experienced at the onset of their symptoms. It seems that blurred vision is extremely common as well as localized twitching or buzzing. Most people report feeling numbness/buzzing/twitching in one leg or one hand.

I don't think I have MS and I don't think you do either! Anxiety and constant release of stress hormones can really make your nervous system completely out of sorts. Do you shiver/tremble during episodes of anxiety/panic attacks? I do and afterwards, my muscles and nerves are all tenses up and more likely to buzz or twitch.

Isn't anxiety grand?  :sprachlos020:

It sucks! I do have blurred vision but only when I look at distant objects. I think I'm near-sighted. I've noticed this getting worse over the course of the last year. I can see everything within a certain distance PERFECTLY fine. But after 20-30 feet it can be slightly blurred. I read people with MS related blurriness experience the blur at all distances not just near or far separately. Is this true based on what you've heard?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:09:22 PM »
You don't have a single symptom of MS, not even one. Stop freaking out. Everything you wrote is anxiety related except near sightedness.

No one here can tell you it sounds like MS because it doesn't but if you don't stop fresking out I will start advocating that you do have it, just for fun  :P
Bookmark and Share

Offline Dmcrae22

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
It's anxiety. Almost exactly a year ago I went through a really stressful period concerning my wife's and kid's health all at once. Once everything was resolved, I started twitching like crazy. My index finger jump around, pinky toe would move on it's own and literally every muscle from my feet up to my eyes would twitch at some point. I of course jumped on the ALS fears and that sent it into overdrive. But I've had my doctor, a neurologist and a psychiatrist all assure me it's anxiety. And they're right. After finally accepting it, it finally started to decrease. I still twitch if I drink too much coffee or am stressed out, but I can now point to anxiety.

If you want to understand the physical reasons why twitching happens, there are some great books and even posts on here why. But the 30 second version is that anxiety pumps your system full of adrenaline and other hormones that cause your muscles to tense up. Your body is preparing itself to either fight or run from the threat. But we hypos can't run from what's inside our heads and so things like twitching or buzzing happen cause our muscles are trying to get rid of the hormones. But that just causes us to worry more and so begins the downward spiral of anxiety.

My best recommendation is to stop looking for reassurance on line. My brain would ignore the 30 pages of reassurance and focus on the 1 post that scared me. MS and ALS both present with REAL weakness. Not feeling weak or tired but suddenly not able to turn doorknobs or open milk cartons. Go outside, set some goals or projects around the house and start achieving those. That feeling of accomplishment helped me tons.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Amanda888

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:25 PM »
YES! It definitely can. About a year ago I came here because I was having terrible health related anxiety, Ive always had a tendency towards hypochondria.  I stressed myself out so bad over a small rash on my arm that I started having panic attacks and sleep issues. I would try to sleep and just when I would start to doze off I would jerk myself awake again. I started reading here about muscle twitches that wouldnt go away. Guess what I developed soon after I read about them? Yep, random jerky twitchy muscles. So I was pretty much convinces I had an incurable brain disease or BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) This was until I read this post: on another website about twitching, http://www.aboutbfs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9225  It changed my life. I became a member of Anxiety Centre right away and have never looked back. My twitching and jerking myself awake is gone unless I am under a lot of stress then it will happen but instead of worrying about it I let it pass and within a day or so Im back to normal. I really hope that helps some. If for whatever reason you cant see the link I can send it to you in a pm.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: