Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: It's been a bad day.... pancreatic cancer fear, 20 yrs old  (Read 336 times)

Offline halesy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
It's been a bad day.... pancreatic cancer fear, 20 yrs old
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
i've actually posted about this before... I have a fear of all cancers really but once i did a bit of research (oops... i know that's bad) on pancreatic cancer it shot right to the top of my list just because it's so deadly. I know the risks of having it at my age are so, SO low but i found a fact sheet on it that said 0.2% of all pancan deaths are in people aged 20-34.... that's a low number but i calculated out of the total yearly deaths and that's about 77 people per year! and of course to my hypo mind....that's a lot more possible than i thought :( :(

I have had GERD/IBS like symptoms for a while now and lately the discomfort has been less relfux/heartburn type discomfort and more focused in my stomach area near my navel. I also have some back pain but most days i'm good at attributing that to my poor posture....

I've had a few blood tests done in the last month or so and my doctor says everything was very normal.... i just don't know what to do i am so scared of this and i hate being afraid of things that are so unlikely. I just feel so gross :(
Bookmark and Share
“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline ashanne

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: It's been a bad day.... pancreatic cancer fear, 20 yrs old
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:54:02 AM »
I've recently discovered this site, but have been dealing with hypochondria-like tendencies and worries basically my whole life. My most recent worry is also pancreatic cancer - both because it is so deadly (and terrifying) and because I have always had stomach and digestive problems, but I feel they have been getting worse as of late. I have done no tests (for this specific concern), as I am still in the early stage of fear/over reactive/trying to figure out if I should really be worried (the old repetitive pattern). I feel that it's positive you have had good blood results, and hope that it has helped calm your nerves even a bit. I can also understand the continued fear and gut belief that something is still wrong, and that no one has found it yet. I have yet to come up with a good way of handling such thoughts and stress, but it is a process of getting through it.

It is unlikely that you have it (and as I say this, I fear that for you it is true, but for me it doesn't apply - how unhelpful!) - so if anything I say is helpful, I hope it is that I can understand your unrelenting fear of uncertainty (and now of this specific illness), but also that I feel you are probably fine - it's good that you have taken action, and now that it has turned out alright, it's best to try to move on and find some comfort in the rest of your life. I feel that it's very difficult for us health worriers to live as if we are healthy - even though we usually are, and this leads to much exhaustion and frustration. I wish you well, and more importantly I wish you some relaxation, calmness, and happiness, regardless of insistent fears.

-A
Bookmark and Share

Tags: