Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Xanax to Lexapro & Klonopin and a couple of questions...  (Read 1764 times)

Offline comoso

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Xanax to Lexapro & Klonopin and a couple of questions...
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »
Thanks Ian, I actually fell asleep last night without taking my .125 and slept through the night until 430 am.  I woke quite a few times from then on and it was stuck in my head that I'd missed that dose.  I just tried to remove that thought and I slept until morning on and off. 

Here's the new thing.  For the past week, I've still been taking 2.5mg of lexapro as per my Dr's instructions.  Yesterday was my last one.  Today I feel VERY bad.  My ears are ringing louder than ever, I'm sick to my stomach and have a bad headache.  Are these the "flu-like" symptoms of SSRI discontinuation?  I never even thought about it until I was laying on the couch and realized today is my first day without lexapro.  I so didn't expect any difference so much so that it never even crossed my mind that was the problem until a few minutes ago. 

Just to catch everything up, I've been on 50 mg zoloft and 2.5 mg lexapro for the past week.  Dropped the lexapro and accidentally dropped the .125 night time klonopin yesterday.  I feel terrible today, need encouragement. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2014, 06:36:33 PM »
Yesterday was my last one.  Today I feel VERY bad.  My ears are ringing louder than ever, I'm sick to my stomach and have a bad headache.  Are these the "flu-like" symptoms of SSRI discontinuation?  I never even thought about it until I was laying on the couch and realized today is my first day without lexapro.  I so didn't expect any difference so much so that it never even crossed my mind that was the problem until a few minutes ago.

Lexapro has a longish half-life, plus you're also been on Zoloft for a while, so this is almost certainly not from Lexapro withdrawal, but is likely a psychological reaction from both the cessation of Lexapro and the missed clonazepam dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
OK, So do I suck it up and not take the .125mg tonight and say I'm successfully down to only .5mg? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
OK, So do I suck it up and not take the .125mg tonight and say I'm successfully down to only .5mg?

Down to 0.05mg. However, IMHO, you should wait until you are fully stabilized on an effective Zoloft dose before considering tapering off Klonopin. Altering doses of more than one med at a time often leads to confusion about which one is causing problems, plus you want to be settled psychologically before coming of the BZD. At the moment it is probably still carrying most of the load. Another month or two on Klonopin isn't going to make it any harder to discontinue.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2014, 09:16:27 PM »
No they're 0.5 mg.  Am I on more than I thought I was?  I didn't know that a 0.05mg existed. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2014, 09:45:24 PM »
No they're 0.5 mg.  Am I on more than I thought I was?  I didn't know that a 0.05mg existed.

Sorry, my error. Brain is not yet fully engaged.  :dazed:

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »
No problem, Ian, You're a huge blessing in a terrible time.  I think you for your assistance.  I'm suffering greatly now, but I'm going to find the answer to this and I'll appreciate everything I have on the other side even more.
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46:05 PM »
So another day of just feeling like I was hit by a truck.  I called my doc and he said to go back on the 1/4 pill of lexapro.  I can't believe this stuff has so much power.  1/4 pill...  I'm just about at my wits end.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2014, 06:27:52 PM »
So another day of just feeling like I was hit by a truck.  I called my doc and he said to go back on the 1/4 pill of lexapro.  I can't believe this stuff has so much power.  1/4 pill...  I'm just about at my wits end.

Are you sure its the Lexapro and not your mind causing this? If the mind then dropping the dose will strengthen its grip.

If it is the med, then maybe you'd have an easier ride with Celexa (citalopram). While it is the same active drug, the non active isomer in Celexa can produce differences in how people respond to it compared to Lexapro.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2014, 06:46:07 PM »
It's not dropping it's adding.  I took my last lexapro on Saturday and have been without it since then only on 50 mg zoloft.  I took 3 weeks to titrate over.  My Dr. wants me to add the 1/4 lexapro back because the week I took 50mg zoloft and 1/4 lexapro I had some good days.  Is it normal to take 2 different SSRI's? 

I don't know what is causing it, I've been in CBT weekly for 7 months.  I've read 13 books on anxiety and getting over it.  I've tried numerous medications.  I actually took .25mg extra klonopin today and that is breaking one of my cardinal rules of taking more than what I'm down to.  I feel completely anxiety free right now, but I have headache, earache, tinnitus, stomach ache.  I've ate like 4 crackers in the past 48 hours.  Basically I feel like I have the flu without the temperature and sinus problems. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
It's not dropping it's adding.

Oops. My error.

I took my last lexapro on Saturday and have been without it since then only on 50 mg zoloft.  I took 3 weeks to titrate over.  My Dr. wants me to add the 1/4 lexapro back because the week I took 50mg zoloft and 1/4 lexapro I had some good days.  Is it normal to take 2 different SSRI's?

No, it isn't though some are.

I've ate like 4 crackers in the past 48 hours.  Basically I feel like I have the flu without the temperature and sinus problems.

Which could be withdrawal symptoms though I don't see why you have them. IMHO, you should be increasing the Zoloft dose rather than returning to the Lexapro. Few do well on only 50mg Zoloft.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
I'm still doing the 50 mg zoloft 2.5mg lexapro.  I've been really busy with work the past few days.  Worked 16 hours yesterday.  I was able to get through the day without any panic, just manageable anxiety from time to time. 

3.5 weeks on zoloft and 13 weeks on SSRI's.  Today I'm not real positive that I'm getting benefit from them.  I think the .625mg klonopin carries the load on my anxiety control.  I didn't have depression when this anxiety battle started, but it came in after 6 months of relentless anxiety and only treating it with 1.5 mg xanax per day because my Dr refused to switch me.  After I got to my psychiatrist and started the SSRI's.  I had SOOOO much hope.  I've heard so many good stories.  I'm so ready for the day I become one of those...
Bookmark and Share

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »
OK, The "hump" that everyone talks about on SSRI's exists.  I seriously have had bad panic/anxiety for 9 months and after 4 weeks on zoloft it is just gone!!!!

I'm down to taking .5mg klonopin in the morning and really think I could just stop taking it, but won't do that because of the need to taper.  I will take it slow.  I'm only on 50 mg zoloft too!!!

After 9 months of living unspeakable hell, I wake up feeling normal.  I wake up feeling optimistic.  I wake up ready to live life and not stay in bed scared.  Thank everyone on here for their support. 

If you're reading this and freaking out like I used to be.  Keep working, it get's better!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:09 AM »
Hi Comoso, how are things going on the Zoloft? I was just reading through your posts and don't worry, lots of us have been through the same thing with meds. I am now just increasing from 10mg Lexapro to 15mg and it's a hard transition but I am also hopeful. And I have tried everything off and on for 20 years! But it's okay, just grateful to be here on this earth today.

I wanted to comment on your vitamin experience and the trigger. My anxiety was floating around in my background until I graduated from college. Then my friend and I went to a Grateful Dead show (ha ha, I am dating myself!) and we had some (I'm not sure if I can write it but I will just say illegal substance of the early 90s). That wasn't great (first and last time for everything!) but when it wore off, boom, massive anxiety.  It lasted for a week and I thought I had cooked my brain, but it eventually went away. Then years later I had an endoscopy, when the drugs they give you for that procedure wore off, again, massive panic. Although then I didn't know what it was. I had a job by then and was supposed to go to a conference and was at work ready to drive to my flight when I just cracked. I called my sister to drive 30 miles to come get me. I spent a week at my Moms house unable to go outside. Finally my Moms friend drove me to see a psychiatrist that I found in my insurance plan and he prescribed Klonopin.  I had a full blown anxiety disorder.

20 years later here I am! Still alive :)  anxiety has been a struggle for me ever since (I have tried everything natural and meds and our only choice is to keep trying!)

But back to the vitamins. Be so careful from now on about supplements and such.  My primary care physician gave me an inhaler last year when I had bronchitis - it has a stimulant in it and triggered a panic attack. I was so mad, it says in my chart I have anxiety. So now I always ask. Also I bought a drink supplement from Beach Body,again it has a stimulant in it, again a panic attack.

Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: