Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What is the MAX dose of viibryd?  (Read 756 times)

Offline dannysmiles19

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is the MAX dose of viibryd?
« on: March 16, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
I take 40 mg viibryd for depression and it seems like it might be losing efficacy at this dose... I've heard of people taking 80 mg of viibryd...so any advice? Can I get a raise? or would that be overdose?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 98
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is the MAX dose of viibryd?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 07:52:07 PM »
I take 40 mg viibryd for depression and it seems like it might be losing efficacy at this dose... I've heard of people taking 80 mg of viibryd...so any advice? Can I get a raise? or would that be overdose?

The maximum recommended dose is 80mg/day, but there are some doing fine on 100mg. I suggest you try 60mg for a while rather than going straight to 80mg. You should discuss this thoroughly with the prescribing physician first.

How long have you been on 40mg?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 08:21:03 PM »
what??!! why did my doctor keep me on 40 mg if the maximum recommended dose is 80? I've been on 40 since...early january-ish. I just want to see if a dose raise would help...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:12 PM »
what??!! why did my doctor keep me on 40 mg if the maximum recommended dose is 80?

Because 40mg is the suggested dose for both anxiety and depression and is the one that works for most of those taking it. It is a therapeutic dose so provided it's working there is no reason to up it.

I've been on 40 since...early january-ish. I just want to see if a dose raise would help...

Then you've probably been on it long enough to get all you're going to get out of it and a dose increase is warranted if it isn't working well enough.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 11:35:09 PM »
Thank you Ian, I saw my doctor today and he is very stern on the 40 mg. He says that people do very well at the maximum dose 40 mg, but he upped mine to 50 mg today in an effort to see if I improve from a dose increase.

He has thrown the idea of abilify back into the equation but he chose to up the medication dose instead of doing augmentation therapy.

He said since I am stable on this medication and have built a blood level, within a few days I should feel a difference from the increase. What should I expect?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 01:02:07 AM »
He has thrown the idea of abilify back into the equation but he chose to up the medication dose instead of doing augmentation therapy.

Adding Abilify is one option, but if this is your first antidepressant it might be better to try another. IMHO, it is better to take one med that works rather than two that may only just do so.

He said since I am stable on this medication and have built a blood level, within a few days I should feel a difference from the increase. What should I expect?

It will take about 5 days for blood levels to stabilize at a steady-state, however, it may take several weeks for this to translate into an extra therapeutic effect as the med itself doesn't produce this, the brain changes it initiates do and this takes time. As with all SSRIs there could be an initial increase in anxiety, but this should be small given the dose is only going up by 10mg.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 03:22:22 AM »
I've been doing some digging on this and the 80mg/day maximum has some qualifications that I wasn't aware of earlier. The data also indicates that higher doses don't increase its effectiveness that much, so if 50mg doesn't help then you probably won't achieve much by further increasing the dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »
Do these drugs literally heal the "depressed" brain? does it really increase the volume of the hippocampus and repair neural pathways? they are not a CURE, I know that. It's a tough concept to hammer into my head but I get it. But do they "fix" damage done by the course of the illness itself?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 05:36:30 PM »
Do these drugs literally heal the "depressed" brain? does it really increase the volume of the hippocampus and repair neural pathways? they are not a CURE, I know that. It's a tough concept to hammer into my head but I get it. But do they "fix" damage done by the course of the illness itself?

Yes. But it isn't necessarily permanent. Stop taking antidepressants and cortisol and the other stress hormones may begin to unravel the changes again.

Anxiety and depression are manifestations of a physical process caused by stress. They are as much physical disorders as stress related heart disease.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:49:31 PM »
But my Psychiatrist told me since I'm stable on my medication, a dose raise should help within a few days...
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »
But my Psychiatrist told me since I'm stable on my medication, a dose raise should help within a few days...

I guess you're about to find out if he's right.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 11:59:32 PM »
Ian come on, lol

have you heard of that before? a few days?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 01:05:07 AM »
Ian come on, lol

have you heard of that before? a few days?

Sure. The placebo effect can be a wonderful thing. Which he may have been trying to encourage. But most people just get a return of the initial side-effects within a few days.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dannysmiles19

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »
Is it normal to feel worse after a raise? Even a 10 mg raise?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 06:12:27 PM »
Is it normal to feel worse after a raise? Even a 10 mg raise?

Unfortunately, yes. However, it is usually short-lived.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: