Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hi, anyone else suddenly develop agoraphobia??  (Read 263 times)

Offline jasmine27dragon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hi, anyone else suddenly develop agoraphobia??
« on: March 16, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
Hi, my name is Danielle, I'm new to this site, I'm 24 years old and suffer from panic attacks, anxiety, depression and now apparently agoraphobia.
I have suffered from panic attacks for around 8 years now on and off, they always happen at night, when I'm trying to sleep.
After much pestering from my family, partner and friends i finally sought medical help, straight away i was put on citalopram 10mg x1 daily....well didn't this just make things 100 times worse, i got every side effect under the sun and eventually almost completely went off my rocker...excuse the phrase...but I really did almost loose my mind from no food, no sleep, shakes, sweats, pins and needles, headaches, nausea, sickness, aches and pains not to mention the constant panic attacks, one after the other, sometimes overlapping, up to 17+ a day.........the list goes on....anyways 5 days down the line id become severely depressed, anxious and shaking ALL the time and had had visited A&E more times than id like to admit also id lost 1 stone in body weight I went back to the doctors...with my mum ( because she's fierce and doesn't take rubbish from nobody) I tries to explain to the doctor how i felt, but she wasn't having any of it and told me to 'Persevere' with these tablets.....now i swear to you if i had i would be in an institution by now......so my mum told the doctor if something wasn't done and i carried on the way i was going she would section me.....she wouldn't really..I think  ..... Anyways the doctor finally swapped me to venlafaxine 37.5mg x2 daily and the side effects went away within 2 days, apart from the panic attacks and no sleep, so again after one particularly bad night of having the paramedics out at 3am and not having any sleep whatsoever, i made an emergency appointment with a different doctor, i almost completely freaked twice on the way up there due to the severity of my panic attacks......felt very unattached to myself........then had to ask for a private room in the doctors as i broke out in hysterics.
When it finally came time for the doctor to see me i was so distraught my little sister had to explain what was up with me.......he completely understood and prescribed me 7 days worth of diazepam and propranolol 40mg x3 daily.
This all happened over the course of 2 weeks.......now i still cant sleep but the beta blockers take away all the physical sides of the panic attacks, but the mental side is still there. I am currently awaiting CBT. 
Only now my problem is I've become slightly agoraphobic, and my anxiety has started to come back, and instead of all the physical sides of a panic attack, i get heart burn and an upset tummy for 4+ hours....i know, id rather have the heart burn than blind panic......plus I'm still not able to eat properly.....like I've had 2 slices of toast this morning, that's it... And that's what its been like the past few days.
Anyways doctors appointment tomorrow, hopefully i will get some of these issues straightened out as i cant be off work forever, but its getting increasingly hard to spend long periods outside of my home.
Hopefully things can only get better.

Thanks for reading.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Julie A. Cook

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hi, anyone else suddenly develop agoraphobia??
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
Danielle, you'e going hrough hell right now but you have to remember it's a hell that, believe it or not, you can take control of with the right medications and doctors.  You have to believe that you will not always feel this way...you won't!

I, too, am a fellow sufferer on and off for several years of my life.  I am now 61.  My mother is a fellow sufferer...she is 84.  With this illness we go through good periods and bad ones.  You happen to be in a tough one now, but it will go away with help from medicine, professionals, and courage on your part.

I will be praying for your quick recovery.

Julie
Bookmark and Share

Offline jasmine27dragon

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hi, anyone else suddenly develop agoraphobia??
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 09:08:49 PM »
Thank you, and i too for yourself and your mum x
Bookmark and Share

Tags: