Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?
Anxiety Forums & Chat Rooms

New to Anxiety Zone, Old to Hypochondria

Offline beetlebum

• Personal text
New to Anxiety Zone, Old to Hypochondria
« on: March 15, 2014, 10:56:56 PM »
Hello Everyone.

After a few years of going online and reading posts about anxiety I've finally decided to write my own.  A brief history about myself (as some of you might relate):

I was diagnosed with GAD when I was very young around 7.  It only was due to my parent's thinking I had ADHD at a young age and I was found to have Anxiety disorder, I used to faint in class, cry, throw up.  All physical symptoms that I had no clue about.  Anxiety really didn't effect me in a way I realized until I entered Middle School.  There I faced my first encounter with Hypochondria.  It all started because I was born with a heart murmur and I thought that I would have a heart problem at any moment.  And it bounced off of that, it went away for 2 years, came back.  I got psychological help but never went on medication because I was afraid (hypochondria) that I would become addicted or not be myself.  My parents helped me at the age of 16 go and get holistic help and go see a nutritionist who told me to eat a diet to help control my anxiety, by cutting out caffeine, refined sugars, and dairy. He also introduced me to meditation.  I was young and really didn't grasp these methods and went away from them. 
About 4 years ago I had a major problem in my life that led me to have a on going attack still lasting.  I moved back into my parent's house in 2010 at the age of 20 due to having a huge anxiety attack in college.  I couldn't breath in my dorm room, I couldn't eat, I was depressed, I thought I had many diseases and issues.  I decided the best thing for me would be to come home and get myself fixed.  I went back to therapy but I couldn't follow through with it because of money. I started going online looking for answers but this only led me to googling my problems.  I became an insomniac, I was eating horribly and I couldn't get my ***** together.  Since then, 4 years later my life has gotten better but I still have severe Hypochondria.  Last year I went to the ER three times thinking I had a heart attack.  I'm also deathly afraid that I'll catch AIDS from my boyfriend, or that I'll die at work because I've overworked myself.  I'm always getting headaches, I had a CT scan last year because of it and was fine.  I went to yoga for a month which I found helps but I don't have the money to do it any more.  Sometimes I watch scary television or see something on the internet and it makes me have an anxiety attack, like i'll watch a movie about something having cancer and then I'll think I have skin cancer and then go to the dermatologist, or I'll watch a scary movie and think I'll become the monster in it and hurt people.  I really don't know what to do at this point, I tell my family but they just don't know what to do for me anymore, and have givin up and just tell me to get over it.  I really wish that I wasn't like this, and I wish that I didn't have to go through anxiety every day.  Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?  What are things that could help me and make me feel like a human again?
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Personal text
Re: New to Anxiety Zone, Old to Hypochondria
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
Sorry you are going through all of this.  The only suggestion I can make is that you said yoga made you feel better.  I know you can't afford it but check YouTube - bet you'll find lots of stuff there for free.  Won't be a class with other people but better than nothing.

This may sound stupid, but if monster movies or movies about cancer set you off then simply stop watching them.
Bookmark and Share

Offline beetlebum

• Personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:47:38 PM »
thanks pat, I think I have to give yoga another shot, and I need to stop watching Netflix so much!
Bookmark and Share

Offline anagargano

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
Sorry you are going thru this.....but you are in good company here ...we all are to some extent or another.......exercise is good , yoga great try dvds or utube...any hobbies you really love seem to help ..and yes dont watch things that upset u , what for?....it goes up and down and you will feel better ...but try take care of yourself as much as you can
Bookmark and Share