Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about lymphoma  (Read 141 times)

Offline Jordan80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about lymphoma
« on: March 15, 2014, 01:06:41 PM »
Hi all

I have had hypochondria on and off for a few months now, since my first healthscare (HIV, diagnosed with the dreaded Google) I now look at the world in a whole new light. Each and every person I see I feel sympathy for from just thinking about them going through the same thing, or even someone worse for that matter.  Health anxiety is A LOT to deal with and I really hope I can find myself again. . Anyway my second and most recent fear is lymphoma, I have recently had a sore throat (hurt to swallow just on the left side) infact a week ago today is when I first had my sore throat 4-5 days later I get over the sore throat, on the 4th day I noticed a 1 swollen gland that I think is hard on my left side of neck its only visible when I turn my head so that my right ear touches my shoulder. I have been to the doctors twice about this on the 6th day and today. First time the doctor actually said to me that I'm wasting his time and that I'm a perfectly healthy 21 year old and to basically just go, this I found distressing as not only was I in a rage from him telling me that im wasting his time and having to control it because of respect for everyone else in the doctors surgery, I was also non the wiser to why my gland has swollen up, before he even felt the gland he said I was wasting his time. So I went and got a second opinion from a walk in doctors surgery in which I met a very nice doctor who performed the correct routine to check for lymphoma signs. In which I have got no other sign that I've got it except for that one swollen gland. After she performed the check she looked at me very confused and asked "why did I think it was lymphoma" that's when I said I have been reading up on it. She then told me that she though everything was ok and doesn't suspect anything, she told me if it doesn't swell down by 2 weeks to go and see her again. Basically I need to know whether I should be worried or is this just my mind playing tricks on me, I'm constantly thinking about it, not eating due to worry, only drinking water. I have a fiance and 3 beautiful children and I worry that I'm taking my frustration out on them sometimes, although I really don't mean too. I love my family and want to put this anxiety behind me. ALOT easier said than done, believe me.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about lymphoma
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:18:53 PM »
Your mind is playing tricks on you.  Lymphoma is one of the favorite fears for HA sufferers on this forum but if you were to check to see how many of them are ever diagnosed with it the number would be close to zero (if not actually zero).  Why do HA sufferers tend to gravitate to MS, ALS, Lymphoma, heart issues?  Because the symptoms are vague and because anxiety can mimic some of them.  Now stop the googling, trust your doc, and enjoy your family!  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jordan80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about lymphoma
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:23:23 PM »
Your post kind of eases my mind a little bit, more so than what the doctor has said.. I have seen LOADS of posts about lymphoma so I thought it would be up there with HIV. Thank you for your reply! Very much appreciated. Its a lot of help being able to speak to people who don't think I'm going crazy.
Bookmark and Share