Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Who's taking fish oil?  (Read 590 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Who's taking fish oil?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
I had some diarrhea yesterday so maybe that is the fish oil

Fish oil may cause some initial diarrhea so it is best to start on one capsule a day and increasing it by one every 4-5 days until you get to the target dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Who's taking fish oil?
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
"Up to about 20 grams of fish oil can be well tolerated by most adults. However, such high amounts may not be beneficial and the FDA recommends that consumers not exceed more than a total of 3 grams per day of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, with no more than 2 grams per day from a dietary supplement.

At very high doses fish oil may have adverse affects on the human immune system, though studies have not shown such an effect at the more typical doses people take, i.e. <=2mg/day of EPA+DHA. However, it may impact the immune of some animals who don't normally eat diets high in Omega-3s such as cats and dogs.

I was watching a doco on life in Elizabethan England last week and the diet listed was much higher in fish than now, mostly because people couldn't eat animal meat on 3-4 days of the week because of religious restrictions. They ate fish at least 5-6 times a week. Flax seed (aka linseed), which is also high in omega-3s, was also a significant part of their diet.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Tags:

anything