Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Who's taking fish oil?  (Read 335 times)

Offline Bcollinsix

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Who's taking fish oil?
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:36:53 AM »
How long have you been on it and what positives have you seen since you've been on it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Bcollinsix

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Who's taking fish oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 12:21:04 AM »
Really, no ones taking fish oil?
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2sungo

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »
I take 2 pills per day of Solgar 950 omega 3 fish oil, not sure how much it helps the anxiety/depression, buts its supposed to be good for the heart so I figure it cant hurt.  I did notice, possibly a coincidence, that my HDL went up on it and LDL cholesterol went down a bit, though I also take Lipitor and have for years, but my cholesterol dropped about 20 points overall, it may be the fish oil.  Triglycerides were 50, which is also very good. I take other meds for the anxiety/depression currently going down on lex and on 50 mg Pristiq, which seems to be helping.  Also take vitamin D 1000 IU and Deplin, but am taking that every other day, not sure what it is doing and if I need it, but it is an expensive form of folic acid.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 86
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
Really, no ones taking fish oil?

I do, but my panic disorder was very well controlled before I began taking fish oil so I can't say it has had any effect. However, there is good research showing that it is effective, at least for mild to moderate anxiety, and that it works by the same mechanism as antidepressants, the encouragement of hippocampal neurogenesis. You need to take 4-6 1,000mg capsules daily. As it can induce diarrhea initially, start on one capsule per day and increase the dose by one every 4-5 days.

Of the two main omega-3 fatty acids, EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) seems to be more important than DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), so if you can find a brand with a higher than usual EPA-DHA ratio then it would be the better choice, though I wouldn't pay more than a small premium for it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline comoso

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:43:20 PM »
I used to take fish oil and my GP told me new research pointed it to prostate cancer so I stopped.  Insights, thoughts?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
I used to take fish oil and my GP told me new research pointed it to prostate cancer so I stopped.  Insights, thoughts?

Leading urologoists think the study I think your GP might be referring to is seriously flawed. The best exploration of why is in this Medscape article. Unfortunately, it requires free registration to view. Particularly, note that they used data from the Selenium and Vitamin E Cancer Prevention Trial. A number of recent trials are suggesting both selenium and vitamin E are cancer risks, especially the latter.

The fact is that fish were a much larger part of the human diet in centuries past and our diets now have low levels of Omega-3 fatty acids and high amounts of Omega-6 fatty acids which is the opposite of what was the norm until about 100 years ago, so the finding seem at odds with the human experience.

I take the equivalent of 6 x 1,000mg fish oil capsules daily, plus eat fish 3-4 times a week, not so much for anxiety, but my heart. I have twice yearly Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) blood tests and my levels have actually dropped since I began eating lots of fish and fish oil capsules. One cautionary note, however, I have seen some brands with added vitamin E as a preservative. The quantity is usually small, typically 5 UI per capsule, so may not be of concern (vitamin E capsules typically contain 100-1,000 UI), but they might be best avoided if you're taking other supplements which contain vitamin E.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
I know there was some research that more than 2000mg of Omega 3 per day could weaken the immune system - Insights?

I used to take about 2000 mg myself in addition to some foods which had Omega 3 (walnuts, Smart Balance natural peanut butter) but have reduced my overall intake to closer to 1000 mg as my GI doctor thought there was a chance it was causing some acid reflex issues I was having.  I haven't noted any changes either way with it regarding anxiety but I probably was never taking enough.   
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 09:06:06 PM »
I know there was some research that more than 2000mg of Omega 3 per day could weaken the immune system

Not sure about this, can you cite the studies? A 1,000mg capsule typically only contains 300mg of Omega-3s, (180mg EPA, 120mg DHA), so 6 capsules/day would keep you below that limit.

I've always had an overactive immune system, my white cell count is always above 11,000, and often around 16-18,000, occasionally more, so maybe I should take more.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline dh1972

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »
This is what I was thinking.

"Up to about 20 grams of fish oil can be well tolerated by most adults. However, such high amounts may not be beneficial and the FDA recommends that consumers not exceed more than a total of 3 grams per day of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, with no more than 2 grams per day from a dietary supplement. Such high doses may suppress the immune system. Unless medically necessary, such doses should be avoided, particularly by immunocompromised individuals. The potential for immune suppression was highlighted in a review of several studies in animals which found very high amounts of EPA and DHA to dampen immunity, resulting in reduced survival from bacterial, viral and fungal infections (Fenton, Prostag Leukotri EFAs 2013). These adverse effects occurred when EPA & DHA consumption contributed as much as 1% to 10% of an animal's total daily energy intake. In terms of human consumption, this would be about 2,200 mg to 22,000 mg of EPA and DHA daily, which is much higher than provided by most fish oil supplements (typically around 500 mg daily), although the dosage taken to lower triglycerides would fall in the lower end of this range. Commenting on these findings, a researcher noted, "Our main concern here is the hyper-supplemented individual, who may be taking high dose omega-3 supplements and eating four to five omega-3 enriched foods per day." (OSU website, 2013)."

This was from ConsumerLab.com
Bookmark and Share

Offline Calamy

• The Golden Eyed Commander of Wishes
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • and Leon's getting larger!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
I just started taking fish oil last week. I take about 1200 mg a day in 2 capsules. I had some diarrhea yesterday so maybe that is the fish oil but so far I don't know, haven't had any comparison tests etc.
Bookmark and Share
"Fear is such a vicious thing; it wraps me up in chains." - Tears for Fears, "The Working Hour"

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 06:15:51 PM »
I had some diarrhea yesterday so maybe that is the fish oil

Fish oil may cause some initial diarrhea so it is best to start on one capsule a day and increasing it by one every 4-5 days until you get to the target dose.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
"Up to about 20 grams of fish oil can be well tolerated by most adults. However, such high amounts may not be beneficial and the FDA recommends that consumers not exceed more than a total of 3 grams per day of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids, with no more than 2 grams per day from a dietary supplement.

At very high doses fish oil may have adverse affects on the human immune system, though studies have not shown such an effect at the more typical doses people take, i.e. <=2mg/day of EPA+DHA. However, it may impact the immune of some animals who don't normally eat diets high in Omega-3s such as cats and dogs.

I was watching a doco on life in Elizabethan England last week and the diet listed was much higher in fish than now, mostly because people couldn't eat animal meat on 3-4 days of the week because of religious restrictions. They ate fish at least 5-6 times a week. Flax seed (aka linseed), which is also high in omega-3s, was also a significant part of their diet.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: