Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: scared out of my mind I have stomach cancer --someone help me!  (Read 732 times)

Offline Jenin

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have posted on here a few time in the last couple of days.  I have been experiencing digestive problems and stomach pain for the last week and am just scared out of my mind it's stomach or a related cancer (although I have ongoing digestive problems they've gotten worse within the last week).  i also have some back pain as well as neck pain.  I know it's irrational to leap to this conclusion, but my mind just keeps doing it as soon as I try to relax.  I also feel like I've had memory problems recently, but it may be because I've been so focused on this I am not paying that much attention to anything--but I'm so worried I have cancer and it's spread to my brain or something.  I scheduled doctors' appointments twice this week but cancelled them last minute because I'm too scared I'll find out something is horribly wrong.  I'm supposed to go on a long-awaited vacation tomorrow and I feel as though this will ruin it.  Does anyone have any ideas or advice.  Thank you!!
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Storyweaver

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared out of my mind I have stomach cancer --someone help me!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
If you have it, I do too. :P What kind of digestive problems do you have, exactly? Sorry if that's TMI.

I too have had terrible digestive symptoms for about a year, and the last week I went downhill BADLY. I am going to the doctor Monday, and I am scared too, but I know if I cancel it I'm not going to get any help, and if I want to function again I need the help. :( Believe me, your "stomach cancer" wouldn't suddenly go to your brain! If you study anatomy and how these things work, you'd feel a little comforted by that at least.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 10:26:49 PM »
Not tmi--any pride about this has been overcome by my terrible fear and desire for reassurance!  I constantly feel like I have to go to the bathroom, but then often can't -- basically alternating constipation and diarrhea.  and I have pain sort of like a side stitch--but when I'm not exercising as well--in my right side, but sometimes in my left as well. 

Good luck to you too and thanks so much for responding.  It appeases my mind a lot to know there are others out there with similar problems and anxiety which helps me put it in perspective
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Storyweaver

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 11:02:42 PM »
I have the same thing. The only thing that helps me (now I have severe stomach cramping, pain in the lower back, pelvic pain, cramping in the legs, bloating, frequent urination), is knowing that there are SO many things that can cause the same symptoms.

Yes, my hypo brain tells me it could be pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, stomach cancer, ovarian cancer, what have you.

But it could also be a parasite (gross, I know, but very possible because one of our cats had one and I was never tested), irritable bowel syndrome, crhon's disease, a bladder infection, it goes on and on! And how amazing would it be, if it could be easily treated? :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline jayorz128

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
Stomach cancer is the first thing that started all my anxiety a few months ago. I've had 2 tests done on my gi tract and both came back clear and now I have constant anxiety about MS. Anyways odds are that you probably have an ulcer, acid reflux, or gastritis. All of these are highly treatable. Remember also that stress and anxiety also create gastrointestinal problems. So it's very possible that your stomach issues could be caused by stress and anxiety. Don't be afraid to go to see your Dr because whatever it is it's probably very minor and very easily treated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cbear

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 03:05:38 AM »
I have this, exactly the same symptoms as you, jenin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 03:14:36 AM »
A nurse just told me today she knew a woman who had diarrhea for 10 months! All caused by anxiety and stress.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 03:16:10 AM »
What symptom in general makes you think you have stomach cancer?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 07:42:15 AM »
dellis, all of the digestive problems just make me really afraid that there's something really wrong like stomach cancer. I guess I feel as though the pain in my side could be coming from an obstruction -- which stupidly I looked online and told me could be a tumor. I had a cousin who died at 24 of stomach cancer and my dad's friend when I was a kid (although he had worked among toxic chemicals his whole life so it was attributed to that).  This probably sparked the terror in me-- especially because they both died very long and painful deaths. My cousin's death sparked my ha to begin.  I also worry there's some genetic link that makes me more likely to get it.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 07:59:12 AM »
You just have gastritis like the rest of the world, relax! When you get nervous or anxious the autonomic nervous system sends out a signal to put you in fight or flight, this signal makes you produce excess gastric acid. Things to get you feeling better, eat small bites of food and eat slow with chin upright, eat several small meals a day, avoid preservatives and refined sugars/flours, quit smoking, no alcohol, stuff like that. Gaviscon as needed if you get heartburn. OR try over the counter prilosec for a 2 week period but not longer. You have irritable bowels right now, probably because you;re autonomic nervous system is messing with contractions of the bowel. So, you could try taking miralax a scoop per day to add bulk to the stool and slowly increase fiber-rich foods (but slowly, if not, you get major gas). Drink water, stay hydrated. Coffee and sugar free mints/gum or anything with sucrose or xylitol will suck water into colon and can give diarrhea so i would avoid sugar-free products and possibly limit or cut out caffeine. No soda, that is a total anti-nutrient. That stitch pain in the side you get with exercise, that is your body telling you you are not warming up enough prior to exercise and not warming down after exercise. Everybody gets that. You need to do more stretching/breathing warm up exercises prior to your actual work-out. That sharp pain you feel is likely a muscle inbetween rib cage/cartilage that is trying to keep up but can't....we get that because as we exercise, the heart has to pump out more blood/oxygen to muscles... if you are not properly warmed up the blood and oxygen does not reach the muscle full force, thus resulting in contraction/cramping/pain. It's normal physiological science. So I would say you are completely normal but your body is telling you to start practicing stretching/breathing techniques and possibly change in diet.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
Thanks, that's helpful!  I'll try your suggestions.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline Gordon81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
I am going through some of the same things. I am convinced I have some form of Cancer. You are not alone. One thing that helps me is that I feel pretty good when I wake up in the morning. Are your symptoms absent when you wake up?
Bookmark and Share

Offline loverinthecold

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 04:40:04 PM »
How old are you and where do you live?

If you're under 50 and live in the USA, I wouldn't worry too much. I believe Stomach Cancer is statistically extremely rare in younger adults in the USA with rates declining in a rapid descent for many many years now.

And I know the following bit of advice is unlikely to help (I've been there, trust me), but even if on the rarest of rare chance you actually did have imminent, deadly stomach cancer, wouldn't you at least like to have one last great vacation before the inevitable?

Bookmark and Share

Offline Jenin

Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 05:54:33 PM »
Gordon81 & Loverinthecold, I am 30, live in the US. I do find the symptoms are less when I wake up.  I also went on vacation for a long weekend and totally forgot about this whole thing -- which makes me wonder if I'm just feeling stuff I otherwise wouldn't notice because of my health anxiety.  Unfortunately today my dad called me to tell me my childhood friend, who got testicular cancer a few years ago, is in his last couple of days (the experiences of him and my cousin, who died of stomach cancer at 24, are where my HA originated)...this has of course sent me back into the spiral of panic about my symptoms that were so wonderfully absent the past couple of days.
Bookmark and Share
Jenin

Offline freeloving

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 04:13:31 AM »
I had the same exact issues you are having for 5 months. Couldn't eat because of nausea. Diarrhea and constipation alternated. Dizziness. Dehydrated twice and had to be out on fluids. Went in for a colonoscopy and endoscopy and all came back clear. In fact dr said I had a very healthy looking colon. Not even a polyp. It was all from anxiety. Your fine!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: