Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Heart Palipitations  (Read 557 times)

Offline Isa

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Relieved
    Relieved
    • Poke This Member
Heart Palipitations
« on: March 14, 2014, 06:27:33 PM »
Hey, today at work I was by myself and not feeling very anxious, doing some paperwork. All of a sudden its like my heart went nuts, skipping beats to the point where it felt like it wasn't pumping blood or something and I almost past out. It lasted maybe five seconds, and I ended up going home. I periodically have a skip a beat type palpitation that I have associated with my anxiety that I'll have several times a day or some days not at all. I had an EKG done less than 6 months ago and blood work and they were normal. I made another doctor appointment for a week from now to get another EKG and see if something really is going on I might get a holter monitor or something.

Has anyone else experienced this and have it turn out anxiety related? I am not on medication now (tried and didn't like) but I have been doing weekly therapy for about 6 months and have been seeing an overall improvement. I'm just really freaking out and nearly panicking over collapsing and dying at any moment if my heart goes bonkers again or something. Please please please if that happens to other people please let me know I feel like I'm going crazy or going to die or something  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Heart Palipitations
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
I have had some scary palpatations before.  I went through a bout with them a few weeks ago.  They really scared me but they were definitely driven by anxiety.  I find now when my anxiety is worse they tend to get worse.  I have been checked by my doctor and she says my heart is fine and I have also talked to her about the palps. 

Going to the doctor and checking is not a bad idea, but if they tell you that you are ok try and trust that.  Once you do then you will be able to dismiss the palps as not dangerous and they are less likely to happen.  Good Luck.
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Isa

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
Thanks Crikee. I wonder if they could also be related to not having enough iron, I was reading online (I know bad thing to do) but my doctor did tell me that I'm low on iron. I took a supplement last night and another today and this morning I had two or three little heart skips but the rest of the day has been okay. I'm just hoping and praying that it's anxiety and/or low iron. Visions of pace makers and heart transplants have been flashing through my mind :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline crikee57

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 68
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 04:48:13 PM »
It could be your iron levels, but there are other things as well.  Anxiety is one of the main reasons for heart palpatations.  Most often they are just caused by increased adrenaline and your heart reacting to that.  Given that anxiety activates the release of adrenaline it makes perfect sense.  The are other contributors too.  Dehydration is one of them.  Be sure to drink enough water too. 
Bookmark and Share
It's not what's in front of us that stops us.  It's what's inside that holds us back.

Offline Isa

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:07 PM »
I've been evaluating my diet a bit more. I do not do drugs, smoke, or drink any alcohol. I do however eat too much sodium, that can be a cause, so I've been trying to watch that the past few days. Also taking some iron daily. I went over the event with my therapist yesterday and I was extremely stress/anxious for the entire week prior to this event. I also had a trip to the store a few days prior which got my anxiety to a 9.9999999999 almost panic and I did have a few palpitations directly after that 10 store event. We're calling that a success, since I was able to be in the store and not reach panic level. And my rabbit was hurt/sick and actually was crying (horrible horrible sound!) at the vet trip which was also anxious for me. Plus work and getting called in when it wasn't my shift . . . So she thinks its good that I do want to double check, but agrees that the more likely event is anxiety/iron lack rather than a major heart problem, as I'm still here. Also no chest pains or shortness of breath or actually fainting although I thought I was going to. So I'm trying to stay logical and calm. I did have to reschedule doctor visit as I'm figuring out health insurance stuff now but at least I'm not as freaked as I was last Friday. I've also had two work shifts last night and today both two hours in length and did not that that crazy episode again. So I'm trying to look on the logical side and stay calm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Isa

Relieved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
Great news! I finally did do a holter monitor for 24 hours, and it took a few weeks to get the results but I have an occasional PVC caused by anxiety, which means my heart sometimes with beat just a bit earlier in its rhythm, results in the palpitation feeling. YAY IM NOT DYING!  ;D There are medications if they become too bothersome, but there is nothing majorly wrong with my heart no tests needed or anything. I am SO glad I got that test, I strongly encourage everyone to get that monitor for a day if they go through the same doubts and constant heart fear that I've been in for two years. I'm so happy!!!  :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
I just found out I have the same thing.  I have been getting palpitations off and on for years and just recently they've increased.  I went to see a cardiologist and my EKG was fine along with my blood pressure.  They gave me a Holter monitor to wear for 24 hours but I won't know the results for another couple of weeks.  He wanted me to get a full blood work done and have a stress test, as well.  But, he feels it's PVC's, too, due to anxiety.

I still feel them but also feel the jittery/panicky feeling of anxiety.  The cardiologist said that anxiety does not cause PVC's, but PVC's bring on anxiety so it's sort of an endless circle.  Makes sense.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Smile161

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »
I wonder if that's what I have. I get those fluttery heart skipping a beat sensations off and on. I just breath through it and then I'm fine. It has freaked me out for awhile now, but apparently not enough to go to the doctor (no insurance). I did mention it to my doctor one day when I was in for a high blood pressure follow up and she said sometimes it can be caused by excess gas in the upper abdominal area. She said to squat down for a bit, then come back up and it should help. Well, I'm not about to do that when I'm in public!  :P
Bookmark and Share
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Tags: