Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Adult onset asthma  (Read 142 times)

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Adult onset asthma
« on: March 14, 2014, 02:02:09 AM »
Hi all,
So I have had a cough for about 10 days, a slight sore throat on and off during that time, avsore chest/ribs on my right side when I breathe/cough/move, and now a cold. I went to the gp (not my regular one), and she said my chest feels very tight and constricted. Said the pain I have is from my chest spasming. And said I could be developing adult onset asthma! Anyone ever heard of this? When I read the leaflet with my antibiotics, it says for bacterial chest infection though. I'm on 3 different medications for this.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: Adult onset asthma
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 07:20:51 AM »
There is such a thing as adult onset asthma, I knew a lady with it.  However with 10 days of a little chest problem and a sore throat it just sounds like an upper respiratory virus!  Of course your chest will be tight and constricted if there's mucus in there from a chest cold or bronchitis or something!  I don't "get" some doctors when they willy nilly say things like that!
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 07:29:57 AM »
My Dad was diagnosed with adult onset.  He got it from bronchitis.  Did she give you an inhaler?  Sometimes you can get bronchial spams from upper respiratory infections.  I think it might be a little early to be diagnosing asthma
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:42:52 PM »
Yeah I thought it odd that she would say that to me. She asked a lot of questions if there was history of asthma in my family, if I have ever had to use an inhaler etc. Kinda freaked me out a bit.
Now I'm freaked out about possible lymphoma in my chest too.
I'm completely wrecked today. Not sure if the illness is taking it out of me, or the antibiotics. I feel light headed, weak, dizzy, tired and generally just bleurgh :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 03:34:38 AM »
Last night I saw an as on TV which said if your cough lasts more than 3 weeks it could be a sign of lung cancer. I still have the pain across the side of my chest when I take deep breaths etc. I have taken 2 days Worth of antibiotics now. I have the cough about 2 weeks. I'm a 31 yr old non smoker. Please talk me down! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:27 AM »
In 2004 I had a cough for over 2 MONTHS.  And I'm one of those people who NEVER gets a cough (from the chest - NEVER) but I did.   I was even given one of those things to inhale to calm down the bronchial tubes and told to take Mucinex.   It went away. Never knew what it was actually!   It didn't start from a sickness, I didn't feel ill, but every 2 days it would get a little bit worse.  I asked the doctor what she thought caused it and she said she didn't know, that those things happen, could be an allergy that set it off. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: