Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New guy here. Hello all :)  (Read 108 times)

Offline dthedaydreamer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New guy here. Hello all :)
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:39 PM »
Good evening all. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day. I guess ill introduce myself.

My name is David. I am 25 years old. I am a chef by profession but my real passion is music (hip hop to be exact). Im a fun loving, usually out going person. I live in the beautiful state of New York but have also lived in Florida and Colorado.

I have been diagnosed with anxiety for about 3 years (symptoms for a few years before that but no need for medication until 2011). For the first two years after my diagnosis I had my anxiety under control with the use of Ativan. It usually kept all the symptoms at bay when I needed it to. I went through a very bad break up with my fiancée last year but still had my anxiety pretty much under control. In December of 2013 I was involved in a roll over accident when the SUV I was a passenger in rolled 3 times landing on the roof. For about 2 months before that I had my anxiety under control to the point where I didn't even need to use Ativan. Up until February of this year I was off of all medications and doing fairly well. On February 11th I had to go to the ER with what I thought was heart attack or stroke symptoms. After some tests it was determined that I had, had a panic attack.

After a follow up with my doctor I was prescribed Celexa (20mg) and more Ativan (.5 mg). Well, the celexa did not work as I was having debilitating attacks daily. Even the Ativan( which had worked before) did nothing to really curb my symptoms the way it used to. About a month later (March 5th I believe) I had to be admitted to the ER again with a sever panic attack. At this point my ER doctor gave me Valium and instructed me to see my main doctor. After a visit with the doctor she gave me Buspirone (7.5 mg) and Klonopin (.5 mg).

I am currently getting used to these medications I cannot really say what will happen next. I will say the Klonopin has made me feel ALOT better (with the exception of being very spacey in my head).

I've been a guest in the forums for awhile as many of you are very kind and smart and seem to have very good advice. Normal people who do not have anxiety problems just don't understand what a problem it can truly be. I look forward to getting to know some of you and am happy I found a place I can be myself without any judgement.
Bookmark and Share
In mental illness, we are not alone. Speak and you shall be heard.

Peace, Love, and Prosperity to all :)

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New guy here. Hello all :)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:59:02 PM »
Hi David...  Welcome to Anxiety Zone!  I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with anxiety and panic attacks.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made ten meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Reading over the two topics that you posted today, I see that you were on Celexa, 20 mg.  You indicated that it wasn't working for you, and you stopped taking it after a month.  Since you deal with anxiety and panic attacks, I think that you should have an understanding as to how anti-depressants work.

Anti-depressants don't work like other medications that you are familiar with.  When you take aspirin for a headache, you expect to see some results in 30-60 minutes.  Anti-depressants do not work that way.  They actually encourage the growth of new brain cells in the hippocampus region of the brain, where brain cells have been damaged by stress hormones such as cortisol.  Because of this mechanism of action, anti-depressants take time to work.  One will usually see degrees of improvement over a period of 3 to 12 weeks.

So, you really weren't on the Celexa long enough to really show any improvement.  You were also on the lowest therapeutic dose, meaning there was plenty of room to increase the dosage.

I am also on Celexa, 20 mg.  I have been on it for 4-5 months now, and feel some 90% better.

I actually see a psychiatrist for my mental health needs.  She has given me a diagnosis of GAD/panic attacks/depression, has developed a treatment plan for me, and prescribes my medication.

Again, David, welcome to Anxiety Zone.  The very best to you!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline dthedaydreamer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »
Much appreciation on your response. I feel a lot better knowing I am not alone and have been reading the forums for a few months. Finally decided to join today. As far as the Celexa goes, under advice of my doctor I was switched to Buspirone. She said it focuses more on my anxiety whereas the Celexa is for anxiety and depression (I have no real depression with my symptoms). I never really understood or even accepted my diagnoses for a long time, but I finally have come to terms with it. I am hopeful that I can get better and be able to help others out in their fight with this terrible illness. Thank you for your kind words and your positive vibes. I hope to be a very productive member of this forum.

Thanks again. ~Dave
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 23
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
Hi David...  You are very welcome; good to have you on the Anxiety Zone site!

Not to say anything negative about your physician, as general practitioners/internists are worth their weight in gold, however, one of the drawbacks of GP's/internists, is that they have to know a little bit about everything, whereas a psychiatrist specializes in mental health issues such as anxiety/panic attacks/depression.

Anti-depressants, such as Celexa, actually have a slightly better record of treating anxiety issues, than they do treating depressive disorders.  The bottom line here is that anxiety and depression are both only made-up of symptoms that actually are generated from the same area of the brain, the hippocampus region.  Think of it as a double light switch panel in a room.  Each switch turns on a different light, one representing anxiety and one depression.  Different lights, but both coming from the same light panel.

As I mentioned to you, I am on Celexa, 20 mg, and didn't see a change in my anxiety for some 6-8 weeks into treatment.  I am now 90% better, and actually have windows everyday, of feeling normal.

Just some food for thought, as I know that I feel better when education is a tool that I add to my arsenal against my anxiety and panic attacks.

As always, the very best to you, David!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Offline dthedaydreamer

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
Hmmm...I never actually thought about it like that. That's one of the reasons I am excited to actually be able to see a psychiatrist in about 2 weeks so I can get some real, solid answers. My doctor by her own admission is not the best when it comes to anxiety, so im excited to see what someone who specializes in the matter has to say.

Again I thank you for your advice and support. Peace and Prosperity Friend :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything