Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: diagnosed with UTI - given antibiotic, not getting better?  (Read 191 times)

Offline crazilyanxious

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
diagnosed with UTI - given antibiotic, not getting better?
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:57:42 PM »
I woke up Monday morning with frequent urination, and feeling like I couldn't completely empty my bladder...that evening, the pain with urination started.  I called the dr Tuesday morning, went in, they did a urine test, and they diagnosed me with a UTI.  I was prescribed a 3 day course of Cipro 500 mg twice a day.  I am almost done with the prescription (I have one pill left to take in the morning), and I don't think the antibiotic is working.  Initially I thought it was because the pain and frequency went away, but the pain keeps coming back around the time I'm due to take my next dose.  The frequency has pretty much stayed gone, but the pain with peeing keeps coming back.  I also have a slight constant pain in the bladder area.  I'm concerned the antibiotic isnt working, because once the pain went away, shouldn't it have stayed away?  Tomorrow is Friday, and I don't want to go all weekend in pain if the antibiotic isn't working.

So for anyone who has experienced this (because this is my first UTI and I am 28), can the pain come and go even if the antibiotic is working?  Should I get tested again tomorrow after I finish the prescription? 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ksteph

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: diagnosed with UTI - given antibiotic, not getting better?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:54:44 PM »
Ok I have experience with UTI's, I actually had five last year. I usually am on antibiotics for 7 days and it takes 3-4 days before I feel better. I would think the antibiotic is working since you aren't feeling worse, and the antibiotic stays in your system even after the last dose so I would bet you will feel better BUT I am not a doctor so you should do whatever you feel is best! :)  Hope you feel better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline willowmina

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:36:28 PM »
I just had a recent experience with uti. Ive never had one before and a couple months ago had some pain..not alot. Then the next day the pain got worse and I started peeing blood. So I went to the er and the said it was uti. Im nursing so they gave me cephalexen. .after a couple days I found the pain was gone but I was still peeing alot and felt discomfort in my back so they switched my med to trimethaprame...not sure of thw spelling. Was on that for 10 days and all symptoms went away..but then a month later felt thwm again so to be safe gave me prescription again and havent had any symptoms since..knock on wood :) lol.. I know it takes a couple days for the meds to start working. But to be safe id go back and have them do another urine sample. Some people dont reapond to certain antibiotics and need a switch.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »
Did your doctor run the sample for cultures? If so, they are able to tell you exactly what strain of bacteria caused the infection. Cipro is what doctors prescribe first, without looking at cultures because it will eliminate the most common strains. However, there are other bacteria types that will not be wiped out with Cipro. I have had times when Cipro works and others when it doesn't.

In my experience, sometimes it takes a few days even after you finish antibiotics to feel normal. I'm sure you know to drink a lot of water and cranberry. Hopefully they gave you pain meds too.
Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 12:32:01 AM »
everyone is different, that is the only way i know to put it.

i refuse to take antibiotics for UTIs because i know they can go away on it;s own.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazilyanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 02:52:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I don't believe it was ran for cultures.  I went in telling them I knew I had a UTI, but they still did the test, they didn't say anything to me about running it for cultures.  I never actually saw the doctor, a nurse just had me pee in a cup, and found it positive and sent me on my way with a prescription.  And I also felt being on a med for only 3 days might not fully knock it out, because I usually see people on meds for UTI for more than 3 days, so not sure.  I'm really hoping I don't need a different antibiotic, this is the first one I actually took and didn't have any scary or uncomfortable side effects with, and I was nervous to take it after reading the side effects  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline crazilyanxious

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 02:57:55 AM »
It just didn't make sense to me that my pain would go away completely, and start to come back when it was almost time for my next dose.  I thought with an antibiotic, once the pain goes away, it would stay away.  Granted the pain that comes back, is MUCH less than when it initially started.  I will also say that I bought some of those at home test strips for a UTI on the Monday night I noticed the symptoms and I got a positive result for both the leukocytes and nitrites.  I just did a test again and the nitrites are now negative and leukocytes only a trace to faintly positive, and I still have the one pill left for later this morning.  I'd like to think that means the medication is working, since the test strip has changed, but I'm afraid once I have no more pills to take, the infection will get worse again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 08:21:56 AM »
Did your doctor run the sample for cultures? If so, they are able to tell you exactly what strain of bacteria caused the infection. Cipro is what doctors prescribe first, without looking at cultures because it will eliminate the most common strains. However, there are other bacteria types that will not be wiped out with Cipro. I have had times when Cipro works and others when it doesn't.

In my experience, sometimes it takes a few days even after you finish antibiotics to feel normal. I'm sure you know to drink a lot of water and cranberry. Hopefully they gave you pain meds too.

Bactrim is becoming more and more favored now. I'd say probably the preferred choice, at least in my region. As effective as Cipro with fewer side effects
Bookmark and Share

Tags: