Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Derealization tips/cures?!  (Read 624 times)

Offline SummerSun41

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Derealization tips/cures?!
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
For a few months now I've been having derealization. It goes away when I'm very busy or out with friends, but it's triggered very different lighting (such as evening when the sun is setting and very dim, yellowish lighting indoors). Sometimes I have it at other times too, like in the mornings. Everything looks & feels very unfamiliar, much like I'm visiting someone's house that I've been to before but am not totally comfortable in, you know? It's very strange. It also brings some existential thoughts and fears, such as "why do I have to search for a normal everyday job that won't be very fulfilling" and "life is so weird, why don't normal people think of these things?" Stuff like that. It doesn't make me sad or depressed or anything, but it makes me question my ability to handle everyday things (even though I deal with college full time and a part time job with relatively no stress). Sometimes it just makes me feel weird & different in a way I can't describe! It's kind of the feeling you get when you're driving through a new city or town. It's mostly just annoying and sometimes I catch myself being easily irritated. It's hard to picture my future too because I don't want to picture myself in uncomfortable situations down the road, still dealing with these anxiety issues. I know it's all just anxiety trying to trick me. I also know the more you ignore derealization, the less power it has, but I did it hard to ignore. I still go about my normal daily activities but it still lingers.

Does anyone else deal with this or have any tips/tricks to make it go away? Other than these issues, I'm relatively anxiety-free so I feel like I'm on the brink of getting rid of it, but I just want these little things to go away so I can be care- and worry-free! I'm scared it'll get worse or make me depressed and that's exactly what I don't want because I love life and try to enjoy it every day. I've heard Omega 3's can help a lot with derealization, has anyone tried those? Thanks in advance!
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Derealization tips/cures?!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 02:26:59 AM »
I wish I had derealization! I have depersonilization, trust me it is horrendous, you basically feel like your body is like a foreign object. Derealization, in my opinion is kind of like a pre panic attack feeling, everything is surreal. I do get both but the best thing to do is kinda what you said just ignore it, I know how frightening it is but i don't think there's a cure for it. Medications help, some make it worse tho. I would def try the omega 3, also get your magnesium and vitamin d tested. You'd be surprised the calming effects vitamin d has, especially if your deficient. I've also heard fish oil helps a lot too, it's suppose to have no direct effect on the brain, from what I've been told by a pharmacist but it also helps. I'm not a doctor so I would def make an app and just ask for it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 02:29:43 AM »
Just to maybe ease your mind right now, and make you feel comfortable as I'm typing this, as crazy as it sounds, my arm feels like it doesn't belong to me. lol, I'm so use to it tho it doesn't bother me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DeLellis123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 02:40:41 AM »
Aright now I'm a little frightened I have no sensation on my face and neck, lol......good thing I got a doctors app tomorrow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 06:37:20 PM »
I get that too, especially with changes in the color of the sky, I think it's probably that we are far more alert to any changes when in panic mode, and our eyes let in more light during fight or flight so we can see better for battle, or for running away. We'd be dead without this fear response as unsettling as it is if we didn't have it while fighting a predator out in the wilderness.

And also agree with above post , it is pre-panic condition. But on the subject if not feeling limbs and face, I used to get that all the time before Zoloft, I still do occasionally, as hard as it is at the time, don't focus on the feeling, at the core of it is restlessness. I suggest tightening your muscles hard then releasing them. Sexual activity also helps alone or with a partner. Yoga, or basically just anything getting you moving a bit and taking focus off anxiety is good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sigwafsus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:05:15 PM »
My derealization is EXACTLY like that.  I always have a hard time explaining it to others.  I feel like it gets better if I have a few days with low anxiety.  Meditation, exercise, an positive thoughts help me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CherryPirate

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »
I found seeking professional help to be the best "tip" I can give.

I am highly light sensitive, and for me it's fluorescent lighting and dusk/dawn when the light is in that inbetween zone. I refuse to drive during that time because it bothers me so much.

My therapist told me to try counting objects. I will count ceiling tiles, or how many red objects I see, how many cups, etc (depends where I am and what is around me.) This is one thing she told me to try doing. Anothing thing is being very mindful. Her example was if I was washing dishes by hand, to take the time and feel the water on my hands, the suds on my fingers, how the sponge felt and to focus only on the task in front of me and not the 1000000 things in my head. I do this when driving a lot. Sometimes I just sit in my office chair and remind myself to feel that I am actually sitting down and what it feels like on the back of my legs, how my feet feel on the carpet or in my shoes etc. It's being mindful and in the moment and trying not to panic into the future (or past) that I have found to be most helpful.

And trust me - the counting thing is weird at first, but it has helped me. I usually have to get to 20-50 before I calm down. Sometimes I will just recount things again and again, or find something there are lots of around me and count them forward and then backward but focusing on actual objects and counting them is good help.

I wish you the best of luck and many blessings! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline CherryPirate

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »
I found seeking professional help to be the best "tip" I can give.

I am highly light sensitive, and for me it's fluorescent lighting and dusk/dawn when the light is in that inbetween zone. I refuse to drive during that time because it bothers me so much.

My therapist told me to try counting objects. I will count ceiling tiles, or how many red objects I see, how many cups, etc (depends where I am and what is around me.) This is one thing she told me to try doing. Anothing thing is being very mindful. Her example was if I was washing dishes by hand, to take the time and feel the water on my hands, the suds on my fingers, how the sponge felt and to focus only on the task in front of me and not the 1000000 things in my head. I do this when driving a lot. Sometimes I just sit in my office chair and remind myself to feel that I am actually sitting down and what it feels like on the back of my legs, how my feet feel on the carpet or in my shoes etc. It's being mindful and in the moment and trying not to panic into the future (or past) that I have found to be most helpful.

And trust me - the counting thing is weird at first, but it has helped me. I usually have to get to 20-50 before I calm down. Sometimes I will just recount things again and again, or find something there are lots of around me and count them forward and then backward but focusing on actual objects and counting them is good help.

I wish you the best of luck and many blessings! 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: