Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Mast cell disorder fear  (Read 186 times)

Online Nelly22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Mast cell disorder fear
« on: March 13, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »
My latest HA fear is a mast cell activation disorder. (Cells responsible for allergic reactions basically going crazy and giving you reactions to nothing). I've had a massive fear of either asthma or having anaphylaxis to foods for a little over a year now. Of course I was googling and saw all this stuff about mast cell disorders.

It has been out of control for a few months. What turned my anaphylaxis fear into a mast cell disorder fear is that one night I woke up in the middle of the night and my throat really felt like it was swelling shut. My voice turned really hoarse as well, solidifying my thoughts that this was the real thing and not a panic thing. I called the ambulance and they said it was panic when they got there.  I hadn't eaten anything for a long time that day, and there was really nothing I could have been having a reaction to, so this led me to be worried about mast cell activation disorder.

Ever since then, I have the constant fear of anaphylaxis from the mast cell disorder. I will have episodes where it feels like my throat is slightly closing (although not to the degree of the first episode), my throat and chest itch inside often, I will feel like it's hard to breathe, my hands and feet will be itchy sometimes, my ears will get hot/red and itchy, and basically lots of symptoms that all point to allergic reactions.

Is it possible that this is all psychosomatic? I had the fear of throat swelling shut/anaphylaxis long before I ever had any symptoms, so it's probably just a product of my fear, right? AAAAHHHH this is so scary. Can anxiety produce any symptom we can conjure? Sorry so long, I'm just so scared. Thank you!

Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mast cell disorder fear
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »
I know that this is a relatively old topic, but I'm struggling with the same feelings as well, with the itchy chest/throat and fear of anaphylaxis. Have you been able to get rid of the fear any or figure out what's causing it?
Bookmark and Share

Online Nelly22

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Mast cell disorder fear
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:27 PM »
Hi! I'm not completely over the fear, but I'm beginning to come to terms with the possiblility that this may be all anxiety and reflux issues!  I'm not sure if this is the best thing, but I asked my dr. for an epi pen so I could eat again. I became about 10 lbs. underweight from never eating anything while alone. He agreed to give me one, and this has helped me tremendously. I would be to afraid to ever use the thing, but it's kind of a security blanket just having it around. My throat still feels tight and like it's swelling shut at various times, but it never has actually closed off. I've noticed that I do get burning acid in my throat overnight, and I've learned that this can cause the swelling sensation, trouble breathing, and itchy throat while the burn is healing. I'm still not sure the exact cause, but I do know that at least some of it had to be anxiety since a lot of it subsided once I got an epi-pen. Also, I only seem to get the really bad symptoms when I am alone, which makes me think anxiety as well. I read your other post about fear of allergic reactions, and just know that this is a very common fear among people with health anxiety. I have been able to find many more people with this fear that have never actually had a reaction, but yet the fear consumes their lives.  Anxiety sucks so bad, I really feel for you! I'm sorry I can't be of more help since I'm still dealing with it. Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: