Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Hypochondria about food  (Read 167 times)

Offline BrambleRamble93

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hypochondria about food
« on: March 12, 2014, 06:42:58 PM »
Okay, so lately I have been craving a lot of unhealthy foods.  Candy, donuts, ice cream, ect.  So  I've been eating a lot of these foods latley and I'm getting worried about what it may start doing to my health. 

I've always been really skinny and still am so I'm not worried about getting fat.  People (not medical professionals) keep telling me since I'm skinny I don't need to worry about it.  Just because I'm skinny doesn't mean I'm healthy, though.  I've always been able to eat a lod of food and have always had a sweet tooth but now I'm a worrier so  I'm worried my recent intake of these foods will quickly turn me into a diabetic or kill me.  Details you mayu want to know: I'm a 20 year old male, about 145 lbs.

Anyone else with similar worries or sitiuations?  And what warning signs should I look for to know I'm consuming too much of this garbage?
Bookmark and Share
If you put water into a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash.  Be water my friend.  - Bruce Lee

Offline anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hypochondria about food
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
First of all, let me tell you that you don't get diabetes from what you eat, so put your mind at ease on that one.  Bad eating habits, whether you are small or large, can have a great impact on how you feel.....and just because you are skinny now, does not mean you will be in the future, if you don't eat healthy.  Eat sweets and junk for another year and I bet you put on a few pounds. 

With the sweets and the junk food you eat each day, why don't you try to be mindful to throw a good protein in that mix too and stay balanced with your foods.  As far as warning signs about consuming too much garbage, I think that you just have to go with how you feel each day....if you are sluggish and tired, that probably could be caused by a poor diet as well.  With all the sweets, you need to be mindful to care for your teeth as well.

Something to think about.....sometimes a good fruit satisfies your need for sweets.

Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 07:29:35 PM »
I agree, you're not on the fast-track to diabetes, but if you were to eat only that for the next 20-25 years, you might be.  My own personal opinion?  You're addicted to sugar, plain and simple.  When your body runs out, it makes you go get more, and thus the cycle continues.  Anxiety and stress (the fight or flight response) can also make your body want it.  It's a quick source of energy, but then if there's no actual emergency, well, that's where it has to get processed and stored and when all the bad things happen.  I was addicted to sugar myself, but about 14 months ago I quit cold turkey.  Not only refined sugar, but things like starches (white potatoes are an example) and fruit (fructose).  I really went off the deep end.  And it sucked, 8-12 weeks of torture, but afterword, oh my goodness.  The flavors that food has is amazing.  I like stuff I used to detest (squash, for one) and I no longer crave the sugar.  I added small amounts of fruit after 4 months, and I never looked back.  I also went totally radical and cut out dairy and gluten for good measure.

So, to sum it up, I think you're addicted to sugar.  It won't kill you, it just makes you miserable for a variety of reasons.  It did me, and now I'm free of it.  Good riddance.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
Look at your family history, if there's any history of diabetes or colon cancer then I'd really try to reign in the junk.   I hate to admit I've been eating like that for about 50 years.  I am thin and healthy, but it DOES raise the risk of colon cancer even if there is NO family history of it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BrambleRamble93

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:40:17 PM »
First of all, let me tell you that you don't get diabetes from what you eat, so put your mind at ease on that one.  Bad eating habits, whether you are small or large, can have a great impact on how you feel.....and just because you are skinny now, does not mean you will be in the future, if you don't eat healthy.  Eat sweets and junk for another year and I bet you put on a few pounds. 

Thanks, that does ease my mind on diabetes.  I don't think it runs in my family, but heart disease does.  I eat a fruit everyday and usually meat so its not just all junk.  I want to be as healthy as I can be now and for the rest of my life so I guess I just got to be more strongwilled.  A sugar addiction is definately my problem, but i use to have  drug problem.  Seems my addictions just get replaced with another =/  I wish I could be addicted to something good for me, lol.
Bookmark and Share
If you put water into a cup it becomes the cup, if you put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put it into a teapot it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash.  Be water my friend.  - Bruce Lee

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »
You're young and this is the time of your life where you can eat anything. You just need though to make sure you're eating enough healthy foods as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »
i have the same thoughts!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »
Thanks, that does ease my mind on diabetes.  I don't think it runs in my family, but heart disease does.  I eat a fruit everyday and usually meat so its not just all junk.  I want to be as healthy as I can be now and for the rest of my life so I guess I just got to be more strongwilled.  A sugar addiction is definately my problem, but i use to have  drug problem.  Seems my addictions just get replaced with another =/  I wish I could be addicted to something good for me, lol.

Sugar is not an ADDICTION.  If you want to eat healther just have a little willpower and do it.   If sugar were an "addiction" I wouldn't be able to give ALL sweets up for Lent (40 days).  I'd have some kind of mental or physical withdrawal and I don't.  MANY people give up sweets for Lent and they fair just fine.    You want to eat healthier?  Do it, that's all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Misty1989

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 07:40:21 AM »
Ur fine im 24 yrs old and no matter what i eat i dont gain a single pound ive been 98 pounds since 7th grade and can still wear the clothes i had in 7th grade lol.but ur fine its the time were u junk out ....im still doing it lol.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: