Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: More to panic about  (Read 124 times)

Offline Nann James

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
More to panic about
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:54:52 PM »
In addition to the fact that my cat hasn't really moved his bowels in a few days... in addition to the fact that tomorrow will snow and I won't be able to get things done I wanted to. In addition to the fact that Friday I have something to do that is going to take the day... I was just sitting here in my new home.. and my lights dimmed. Substantially. Several times. I jumped up and turned off the light. Then I tighten the bulbs and checked again... and it did it again. So I left it on just to see what would happen.  Of course, it hasn't flickered again for an hour.  So, if it clearly flickered... no biggy, I could call the electrician... but now, I am in the anxiety position of having to sit here and watch and wonder why it did. This is a new fixture I had an electrician install it last week. Though I guess I trust him... he didn't want to get a permit though one is technically required. He said that they are technically required for everything..

Just another thing to worry about.

The only thing I will guess is that it is on a dimmer switch.  And previously in another place I lived there was *something* that dimmed the power a bit every day at a certain time. Not enough to notice unless the light was on a dimmer and not all the way turned up. 

The frustrating part is that I haven't noticed it any other day and I have been in here for a week.

So I just turned on all the lights to try to make something happen. So far nothing.. just enough to make me worry.

Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: More to panic about
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 05:38:46 PM »
I don't know if this will make you feel any better but . . .

When my sister travels, I take care of her cat. The cat has absolutely no problems except that, for some reason, it does not poop for about a week . . .it pees but no poop . . . the vet says that cats are extremely sensitive to changes in environments . . . I just let her go and do what she wants; there is food and clean water and treats, etc. The first time this happened, I called my sister in a panic . . . .I wanted to rush the cat to the vet, etc. and she said just wait it out . . . well, eventually the cat did a small amount of poo and by the time my sister returned about a week later, the cat was doing okay . . . .my sister took the cat home; it looked around and sniffed. Once my sister had placed the cat's kitty litter box in the regular place, the cat went in and unloaded about two weeks' worth . . . so, all of this to say, is that your cat might just be having a hard time adjusting to the new environment and, by the way, the vet said that I should not make a big deal over whether the cat poos or not because this, and I love this, might cause anxiety in the cat . . .so now, when the cat comes to stay, I just let it do what it wants; no fuss, no bother and it still takes about a week for it to be comfortable . . .

Now, as for your lights . . . you had an electrician install the fixture  . . . it might just be a bad bulb so you could try changing the bulb . . .  is the flow of electricity into your home steady? Do you live in a rural area? If it is intermittent and changing the bulb does not help, then call the electrician but for heaven's sake, staring at a light bulb will not do any good and will only add to your anxiety . . . now, if it is on a dimmer switch, that could be an issue . . .I had to have two of mine fixed because the wiring worked its way loose . . . .

So, do your best to distract yourself and let us know how you are doing . .. take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nann James

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: More to panic about
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 06:06:42 PM »
That does make me feel better. Thank you.  It is amazing how many terror stories are on the internet. I had this sense that the vet was patronizing me so I felt like I should get a grip on myself... but it was that much harder without ONE person assuring me. Sometimes that is all you need.

As for the lighting... well... I did actually sit for 4 hours watching the lights and so far, I can't see that anything happened -- though what really scares me in this state is.. did it actually dim.. or like did I catch a glimpse of my hair and think it did... I bet you have been there.  I don't think I live in a rural area but maybe a bit more rural than other times.  Thank you for the response, it really did make me feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: