Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I terrified of pap smears and cervical cancer..help  (Read 196 times)

Offline msmckee

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I terrified of pap smears and cervical cancer..help
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
Okay, so...
I have never had a dr. Sit down and actually care to answer my questions. & now that I have symptoms, I have an abundance of questions, regrets, fears, etc... I have an appointment in exactly a week with great reviews. I'm hoping he can have a discussion with me that will put me at ease.

Here's my situation. Ill put my questions in CAPS.

I became sexually active at 14. (horrible, I know) After my mom found out that I had sex she took me to the dr for a pap smear. My test came back abnormal & after further testing, I was diagnosed with High-Risk HPV. My dr then did a biopsy taking samples from my cervix. At a later appt she gave me a piece of paper (that I stupidly recently threw away bc I thought all was well & didnt want the memorabilia in my 1st apartment) ...anyways, the paper showed my abnormal cells on my cervix & said what type of hpv I contracted... I can't remember the # for the life of me but I know 16&18 are the worst ones to have.  All she told me was that bc of my age all she wanted me to do was ake folic acid & it should go away on its own.

Two years later... At age 16, I got pregnant. (obviously, I ddnt take the seriousness of my hpv into any type of consideration. I never went back to the dr & just assumed that it had went away) while I was pregnant, I had two pap smears..both of which came back "normal". Im not sure if that means that my hpv was gone bc WOULD AN HPV SHOW ON A PAP SMEAR OR WOULD YOU NEED A SEPERATE HPV TEST FOR THAT? When I asled my midwife she just nodded her head & left the room. In fact, whenever I brought up the hpv, she never talked to me about it.

I gave birth to my daughter. All natural vaginal labor. No cuts or stitches - thankfully! I never went back for my  week checkup bc I ddnt feel comfortable with my midwife.

Now, here I am. 19 years old. Everything has been fine until now.
I was abstinent from sex from the time I was 4ms pregnant until recently. I am in a monogamous relationship & after discussing my past with my partner - he didnt feel that there was anything to worry about & we have been sexually active for roughly six months. IAll was well until about three weeks ago.

We had sex (a few days after my period) that was a little rougher than usual. Afterwards I bled a tiny bit, the blood oxidized & I had brown discharge the following day. The blood & discharged stopped within 48 hours of having sex - so I figured I must have had a little trauma (or left over ls from my period) from going rougher than usual.

The next time we had sex.. Everything was fine.

Then (two weeks after my period) I thought I was having my period again. I spotted for three days & then it went away.

Now, the past 3-4 times we have had sex.. I will spot, followed by brown discharge & within 48 hours of intercourse it will go away.

Last night, I was extremely sore & bled a TINY bit & now I have nothing but soreness.

I am terrified that my hpv might have turned into cervical cancer. My biopsy was 5 years ago & already showed cell changes in my cervix. COULD CHILDBIRTH HAVE CLEARED ME FROM MY HPV? Or maybe it was gone before then considering my paps were "normal". Or do pregnant women only get std testing?

I fear cervical cancer bc the -blood after intercours  + brown discharge -vaginal soreness -I have been way more tired than usual -& I have back pain.

I am not pregnant.

Please, someone talk to me!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I terrified of pap smears and cervical cancer..help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:03:46 PM »
Ok, so...your decision to become sexually active when you did is not something that anyone but yourself should judge.  (I know several people who became active at that age...high school is crazy)  Not using protection wasn't the best of decisions but it's not the first time its happened.  With regards to hpv: in most cases people with healthy immune systems "cure" themselves within two years.  If you paps are coming back normal then you are one of this majority; problem solved, lesson learned, don't do it again.

Regarding your recent soreness and spotting (and please don't think I am trying to get into your business...if this is too personal just tell me to stop): 
a) Since you have given birth your cervix is more open than someone who has not, meaning spotting due to "trauma" is more likely.  (I have never given birth and this can still happen to me, especially when I am ovulating or just before or after my period.)
b) If your boyfriend is, ahem, well endowed, sex can create suction at the cervix, drawing out a small amount of blood. 
c) If you do enjoy things on the rougher side - nothing wrong with that - what I mentioned in B is even more likely, as is some soreness the next day.
d) Are you using protection now?  (I hope so!)  If you have recently started on the pill this can also cause spotting while your body adjusts to the synthetic hormones.

It does not matter when you biopsy was (I am guessing it was a colposcopy) If your paps since have been normal then you are fine.  Most pregnant women are tested for ALL std's to make sure that they are not passed on to the baby.  If you were allowed to have a vaginal birth then you are in the clear, although giving birth doesn't cure anything.  I am sorry your doc's and midwife were so closed mouthed, not what any young mom wants.  Hang in there, keep using protection responsibly, get your yearly paps, and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
Stressed Jumper is exactly right, the pap test would have showed the HPV.  They take this very seriously because if your cervix is weak you can give birth prematurely.  Pregnancy is when my cousin was diagnosed with cervical cancer.  They were able to remove the tissue and put a stitch in to keep her cervix closed.  She delivered a healthy baby boy and has since had 2 additional children.

Don't judge yourself for your past, we ALL make mistakes.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msmckee

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies!
I moved my appointment to Monday morning so I can get it out of the way.
I swear, allll Im doing is googling & that's NOT helping.
I'm going to do my best to relax.

I have definitely learned my lesson! I thought I was doing everything right this time..that's why the spotting & soreness is throwing me off. It's not normal for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »
While a pap doesn't test for HPV in itself, it tests for the changes in the cells of your cervix that HPV causes. If your paps are all coming back normal, that means your cervical cells are all normal and HPV isn't messing with them anymore - so you're good to go!

Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: