Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Clear brain scan, still worried re Huntingtons  (Read 102 times)

Offline mermaid

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Clear brain scan, still worried re Huntingtons
« on: March 12, 2014, 07:30:35 AM »
Does anyone have experience with Huntingtons?

So I developed facial tics starting 3 years ago and in recent weeks experienced new facial symptoms that were even scarier. Went to a neuro who was very thorough with his examinations and very good at listening to me. He said facial tics in adulthood can have happen and no cause found, or can be caused by certain conditions.

He sent me for a brain MRI (last one I had was 4 years ago) and it was 100% clear - great except that I don't think Huntington's, my biggest (and most irrational) fear shows up on a scan. And I don't want to google as last time I googled that disease I discovered that not only facial movement but also a number of other symptoms I've battled with for years showed up. And I don't want to scare myself more.

I asked my husband to check for me if the scan would show the disease and he won't.

I did mention it to the neuro and he said not Huntingtons (I have no family history but it can happen spontaneously) but didn't really focus on it, moved on to MS etc.

Now I sit with no MS or tumour on the scan (VERY happy about that) but still wondering about the Huntingtons.

Bookmark and Share

Offline mermaid

• Poke This Member
Re: Clear brain scan, still worried re Huntingtons
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 08:34:21 AM »
Update: Husband found out that 'shrinking of the brain' shows up on MRI with Huntingtons.

Don't know if that's only further along but I've had face symptoms for 3 years and other symptoms up to 6 years so going to decide that something would have shown up whereas my scan is apparently 'pristine'

Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 09:49:51 AM »
You don't have it.  My friend's father, and two brother's had it - it is almost always inherited.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mermaid

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:35 AM »
Thank you for the reply, and sorry about your friend's family members - devastating for them :(
Bookmark and Share

Tags: