Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: personal medical file  (Read 166 times)

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
personal medical file
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:21 AM »
Does anyone get copies of blood/rest results?  I keep copies so i can go back to reassure my self about my perfect tests and convice myself i'm not as sick as i feel.  Am i as crazy as i sound?
Then i spend hours going through the results.

Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: personal medical file
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:33:25 AM »
I used to. I don't anymore. I realized that they're great tools for a lot of people but not always the best for people with health anxiety. It might be nice now if your tests are all coming back perfect, but if they ever don't, keeping up records will cause you more pain than good. And I don't mean that by them not coming back perfect they're indicating something is terribly wrong - quite the opposite. I mean that they're a little off but nothing to worry about, but we think we know better than the doctors and try to interpret results ourselves. Like your potassium being a little low - doctor says no problem (and it generally isn't) but we think it's indicative of some underlying disease. Or we try to read too hard into the trends in numbers.

So anyways, there are a lot of things that can go wrong with that, but if it's working for you for now, great!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline br350

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »
Yes, I do and I think it's a very good idea, for MOST people.   Yes, I understand what stephtronic is saying - it can cause obsessions in people in the throes of severe HA.  However, that being said, I'm 47 and have copies of my medical records going back to my early 20's and BY FAR this has given me more reassurance than fear.  The great thing is that you can look back on past blood work and test results and see what's 'normal' for you.  Then if things start to change and you are concerned, you can bring it up with your doctor and come from a position of being accurately informed with proper documentation.   This can be quite helpful for your current doctor, as well, if they have not seen medical records that existed prior to you going to them.

Having my medical records to refer to has helped me answer questions over the years many more times than it has caused me to have fear.  All this being said, if you cannot view your medical records (test results, etc) without becoming extremely anxious, I would say to take your doctor's word for it and let it go at that.   I only started getting copies of my medical records in my late 20's because I had moved a lot, changed doctors and needed to keep track of this stuff.   To each his own, I guess.   

Bookmark and Share
"Worrying is like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but doesn't get you anywhere."

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
I just startrd keeping them in the past 2 years since the health issues started.  Before 62 i never had any scans and maybe just a few x rays.  I dont remember even going for physcials except when i was a kid. Boy have things changed.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »
LOL!!  I keep them too, AND for my husband!  I date them and put them in a file.  His in one, mine in the other.  Even though all are always just routine once a year due to taking blood pressure medication. I check numbers, see if one got higher or lower, then if I don't know what something is I google it.
I don't keep them to convince myself though (because I don't feel sick ever) but I like to make sure there isn't any underlying disease brewing.

Sometimes a number will be at the top range of "normal" and I start getting upset - then the next blood test I am racing to see if it went higher (and it goes down actually)

I think I am turning my husband into a bit of a hypo because he'll say, "Look, my xyz number was 35!  I think it went up 20 points!!"  Then I pull out his last blood test and say, "No, it was 37 last time"   He at that point is SO happy I keep these things!   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »
No, but I pretty much have access to my medical files when I want them, because my primary care provider is a colleague. Therefore my records are in our EMR system right here. Well, I do think I printed out my positive pregnancy test result, just for sentimental reasons :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: