Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Some tips for travel?  (Read 111 times)

Offline Bryer

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Some tips for travel?
« on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:31 PM »
Hello!

I guess I'll start off with my symptoms...

I won't go into too much detail, but basically, at the beginning of this year, I was feeling pain in my arms and legs. The pain would always be changing, and would be in different parts of my limbs. My doctors suggested a ton of test. It was during my first teat (a bone scan) that I had a panic attack.

Ever since then, the pain in my limbs has subsided (with occasional reoccurrence), and I seem to have a lot of panic-related symptoms when traveling.

Recently, I've become a bit of a hypochondriac - I'm always worried about my heart (having a heart attack, it stopping, etc.) During a midterm recently, I had to leave the room for a bit to catch my breath.

In less than a month, I'll be getting on a plane to London for an exchange program, and I'm really worried about having an attack on the plane. I've always been a nervous flyer, and this trip will be 8hrs!

I'm still passionate about going, but I'm afraid that I'll start freaking out about my heart, and that I'll have a really bad panic episode in front of complete strangers!

Does anyone have any tips for air travel? Are there some audio tapes online I could listen to to calm me down or something? I'm nervous about the idea of taking some sort of sedative, but I'm still open to it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline colorlessideas

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Some tips for travel?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
I would take the sedative if it were me, but you could try some natural supplements to help calm you down. Valerian root is one I've heard a lot about.  If you can sleep on the plane, taking melatonin helps me sleep but doesn't make me drowsy at all afterward.

You should also prepare lots of things to distract you. Games are good, relaxing music, watching a movie. Librivox is a good source of free audiobooks that are online, or you could do a free trial with Audible from Amazon if you want better quality. I think you get like two weeks free or something like that.

Don't let fear of anxiety hold you back from doing something you really want. Worst case, scenario, you have a panic attack on the flight. The airline has procedure for how to help you. Yes, it would be embarrassing, but remember it's a plane full of total strangers, and it's nothing to be ashamed about. Panic attacks are just as "real" as someone with epilepsy having a seizure. If someone had a seizure, no one would blame them or judge them, they'd just see that they got help.

Bookmark and Share
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.

Offline kazoo

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Some tips for travel?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 02:02:46 PM »
Get a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication.  I use Klonopin (same sort of thing as Valium, etc).  Be sure to try it out before the trip to see how it affects you. I use a very small amount (the pills can be broken into smaller pieces) when anxious, and it really works wonders. It can also be used as a sleep aid so you get rest the night before the trip.  Better yet, it gives you the idea that you have a tool to control anxiety.  Having the 'tool' might mean you don't actually have to use it; it's a peace of mind thing.

Drugs like this can be addictive, so if you are at risk of that, it's something to reconsider.  For my part, I use it ONLY when needed (like, once a month) so as to avoid that issue.

The ideas about distractions are very good.  I have a Nook that I can load with books, and I take my laptop and a movie I really want to see, etc.  Been to Europe 4 times, did fine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: