Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Metallic taste in mouth?  (Read 330 times)

Offline javajoe

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Metallic taste in mouth?
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
Anyone ever get this?

The tip of my tongue feels funny and it tastes like metal. At the same time my left thumb is numb.

Been like this since yesterday.

Of course I'm jumping to the worst case scenarios - praying this is unrelated to anything serious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Metallic taste in mouth?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »
Yeah, that has happened to me before. I've gotten weird bitter tastes in my mouth. It's a symptom of anxiety... apparently the excess adrenaline/stress hormones can sometimes create a metallic or blood taste in your mouth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
Yeah, that has happened to me before. I've gotten weird bitter tastes in my mouth. It's a symptom of anxiety... apparently the excess adrenaline/stress hormones can sometimes create a metallic or blood taste in your mouth.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I wish I could take an MRI of my brain with my cell phone - honestly, it's the only thing that made me feel better when I had my MS fear back in October of last year.

I just want another MRI...but I know my neurologist will probably laugh at me for suggesting it because I just had one done in October and everything came back normal.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
I'm in the same boat! I had an MRI of my brain without contrast in November. My neurologist refused to send me for another one, but I got my ENT doctor to send me for one with and without contrast. Hopefully the new insurance company we have approves it, which I highly doubt they will.

Why do you want another MRI?
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:59:47 PM »
I'm in the same boat! I had an MRI of my brain without contrast in November. My neurologist refused to send me for another one, but I got my ENT doctor to send me for one with and without contrast. Hopefully the new insurance company we have approves it, which I highly doubt they will.

Why do you want another MRI?

Because I'm constantly worried that I'm going to get MS - it's a fear I'm having a really tough time shaking.

I mean whenever I get an MS type symptom I immediately assume that's what it is.

I was working out earlier doing jumping jacks and my left foot started tingling - and my left foot has been like this for a while - anytime I put excessive pressure/force like running or jumping, I'll get tingling in certain parts - it goes away after resting it. Does that sound like MS tingling?
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:08:27 PM »
No, that sounds like nerves or anxiety. If it was from MS I don't think it would happen when you use the leg... I think that proves it's something to do with a nerve. I have had tingles like that too, and even numbness when moving my ankle. My aunt has MS and has a bunch of symptoms that don't sound like this!
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 11:20:06 PM »
No, that sounds like nerves or anxiety. If it was from MS I don't think it would happen when you use the leg... I think that proves it's something to do with a nerve. I have had tingles like that too, and even numbness when moving my ankle. My aunt has MS and has a bunch of symptoms that don't sound like this!

I guess I'm just afraid of all these symptoms.

Isn't metallic taste in your mouth a symptom/sign of MS or Parkinson's?
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:57:03 AM »
And it still hasn't gone away yet.

When I woke up this morning I didn't taste it anymore, but after waking and moving around it started to come back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:06:20 AM »

Have you ever asked her how it started? If we knew how it presented it may out some of our minds at a little more ease.
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 11:26:49 AM »

Have you ever asked her how it started? If we knew how it presented it may out some of our minds at a little more ease.

From what my Neurologist told me, MS almost always presents itself first with your vision - double vision or going blind in one eye - that kind of thing.

Not always of course, but he said it's the most common first sign of it.

And the numbness isn't just a little numbness here or there - it's the kind of numbness where an entire limb goes numb and for days at a time - it's something you would notice as seriously off.

Most likely, it's anxiety.

FYI - your chances of getting MS are less than 1/2 of 1% - something to think about.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:36:10 AM »

From what my Neurologist told me, MS almost always presents itself first with your vision - double vision or going blind in one eye - that kind of thing.

Not always of course, but he said it's the most common first sign of it.

And the numbness isn't just a little numbness here or there - it's the kind of numbness where an entire limb goes numb and for days at a time - it's something you would notice as seriously off.

Most likely, it's anxiety.

FYI - your chances of getting MS are less than 1/2 of 1% - something to think about.

I read 0.13%. That's so insanely low! Even crazier that so many of us are worried about such a rare disease. Typical HA catastrophizing I suppose.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 12:04:46 PM »
You are correct... MS tends to start with your vision first. I remember my aunt saying half of her face went numb and she felt like someone was choking her. She had chest pain, as well. I'm not going to go into detail with her symptoms, because I don't believe it will do you guys any good.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »
By the way, when I say half of her face went numb, I mean NUMB. There's a difference between perceived and true numbness. Same for weakness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

Stressed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:46 PM »
You are correct... MS tends to start with your vision first. I remember my aunt saying half of her face went numb and she felt like someone was choking her. She had chest pain, as well. I'm not going to go into detail with her symptoms, because I don't believe it will do you guys any good.

I had a feeling of a lump in the throat for a few hours the other day but was told on here that it was caused by anxiety symptom globus hystericus or something.
Bookmark and Share

Offline javajoe

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 12:16:11 PM »
By the way, when I say half of her face went numb, I mean NUMB. There's a difference between perceived and true numbness. Same for weakness.

That's what my Neurologist said too - the numbness associated with MS is REALLY numb. Not just a little numb, but a lot and it's persistent.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: