Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS worry  (Read 205 times)

Offline atleswoolf

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS worry
« on: March 11, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
Just need a bit of a reality check here.  My health anxiety has been off the charts for the past year or so, largely due to my mother slowly dying of ovarian / peritoneal cancer (she's in the last stages of it now, and it's very stressful to see her decline), bad relationships, stress in the job, etc.  My doctor had already diagnosed me with anxiety, but she also concluded that I'm not in full-blown depression.  We've been discussing SSRIs but have avoided them thus far, due to side effects, etc.

In the last few weeks, I've felt a lot of fatigue in my limbs -- initially my legs, but now in my arms.  I've been trying to keep up with my arm exercises (light weights, a few pushups), and while I can do them without trouble, the following day I'm full of aches and pains, which I'd not had before.  I don't really think it can be described as clinical weakness, but there is an...enervation, a feeling of fatigue.  Just a little while ago, I did my whole routine with the weights for the first time in two days, and could do them.  I know that fatigue is a major symptom of depression, but my health anxiety has seized on ALS, to the point where I'm measuring my arms, doing strength tests to see if I can lift the same thing with each arm or hand, etc.  My doctor took one look at me and said, "You don't have ALS.  You're depressed."  But just help me out, as I've never been diagnosed with depression before:  can depression really cause that kind of fatigue?  I thought it meant the kind of "I can't get out of bed" overall fatigue, not vague fatigue in arms and legs.  I'm guessing if I can still lift weights, I don't have ALS -- I know it typically presents as not being able to button shirts, not being able to walk, etc.  Nor is pain one of the symptoms, to my knowledge -- just weakness.  Nevertheless, I keep spinning around on ALS or something neurological.  Thoughts?  Thanks in advance.
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS worry
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »
I am sorry to hear about your mother.

As for your symptoms, they are definitely not ALS. Your symptoms don't match it at all. Try not to Google next time, you shouldn't even know what ALS is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline atleswoolf

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:18:29 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  And you're probably right -- I wouldn't know what the hell ALS is had I not googled it.  But I still wonder if depression can be responsible for this kind of fatigue.  Thoughts?
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline Hypo84

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 03:10:30 PM »
Depression and anxiety can cause so many symptoms it's not even funny anymore... Yes, fatigue is one of them. Like I said, you don't have ALS. You may have somw physical issue along with anxiety or nothing at all.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: