Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Blood on poop (people with IBS please reassure me)  (Read 284 times)

Offline rubee

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Blood on poop (people with IBS please reassure me)
« on: March 11, 2014, 02:43:24 PM »
I've had bowel cancer fears for years now.. My latest anxiety revolves around the last two times I've 'gone' (today and two days ago) there was a streak of red/blood on the poop and it was painful passing both. Since I was a young teenager I always used to get blood on the toilet paper and sometimes the poop, but I haven't had any blood in the toilet paper over the past few times I've gone. I'm really worried. I talked to my doctor and he said as I had a general blood test a few months ago that came back clear, he isn't worried at all and says I have IBS. But I was silly recently and googled and loads of sites say that blood isn't to do with IBS.   :-X

EDIT: Also I've been so stressed about it all I've started weighing myself obsessively to see if I've lost weight (like one does with cancer) and I don't seem to have.
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Blood on poop (people with IBS please reassure me)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:24 PM »
That happens to me once in a while, too.  Usually after I've had a hard time going.  I think if you strain or force yourself to go, it will tear and bleed a little.  It sounds completely normal to me.
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 05:52:26 PM »
It depends on the color of the blood. Bright red blood means it's usually local such as hemorrhoids or a tear. Darker colored blood is usually from up higher and is something you should get checked out. If the blood is bright red it's most likely a tear from straining too hard.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:57:17 PM »
I had two bowel movements today at work, and there were red streaks/bits in my stool and on the toilet paper. Had it not been for the betablockers I probably would have lost it. I think its a anal fissure probably, from being constipated for a while and having strained/large bowel movements. Funny thing is, today I have felt amazing. Bad thing is though, I had a dr. appointment in the morning which was just a follow up. I don't feel like going back just for this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rubee

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 06:58:06 AM »
It depends on the color of the blood. Bright red blood means it's usually local such as hemorrhoids or a tear. Darker colored blood is usually from up higher and is something you should get checked out. If the blood is bright red it's most likely a tear from straining too hard.

It was definitely red, it didn't look black or anything but I don't know if it was 'bright'.

I just went to the loo again now with diarrhoea (happens a lot to me, especially a few days after being constipated) - no blood though, thankfully.
Bookmark and Share

Offline hypochondrius

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
I didn't have any blood today but had a loose stool, that kind that sort of pile ups. I feel like I've lost weight but maybe that's just because I feel less bloated
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lara71

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »
I occasionally get blood when I wipe usually after bad constipation or diarrhea.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kazz330

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:38:09 AM »
Bright red blood or frank blood = looks like you are actively bleeding and as stated earlier, is often a sign of hemeroids or a cut. Dark red blood or coffee grounds usually are a sign of chronic blessings higher in your colon and definitely warrants a visit to the doctors.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:09 AM »

It was definitely red, it didn't look black or anything but I don't know if it was 'bright'.

I just went to the loo again now with diarrhoea (happens a lot to me, especially a few days after being constipated) - no blood though, thankfully.

It will be like a light red almost pink like color. As long as it's not dark you should be fine. It sounds like it was just a tear from straining too hard.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: