Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What I am doing today for my anxiety.  (Read 170 times)

Offline sigwafsus

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What I am doing today for my anxiety.
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:41:07 AM »
I'd just like to share some things that I'm doing now to help with my anxiety.  I started exercising, a moderate 20 minutes of cardio then a 10 minute sauna.  I would to have liked to go for longer (15-20 minutes in the sauna) but I had a lot of pressure behind my nose and sinus area.  I've been taking baths with epsom salts and essential oils.  Daily guided relaxation audio, usually once but I'd like to have time to do this twice a day.  Drinking loose herbal tea and adding tumeric, cinnamon, and honey.  Avoiding caffeine, sugars, and fake sugars.  I still use nicotine but it is so hard for me to quit right now as it is such a crutch.  I have cut back on alcohol intake but I still enjoy literally a beer or two, one or two nights during the week, and not more than 4 or 5 on a weekend night.  Well... rarely more.  I do make my own beer and it is such a part of my life that I can't ever imagine completely abstaining.  I would like to include more little things that I can do for relaxation and detoxification because I feel that my system may be toxic.  Even if it isn't per se, I feel that eliminating harmful things from my body can only help this recovery process.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kconnors

• Rec's: 57
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What I am doing today for my anxiety.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:45:30 AM »
Well, you have made a super start . . . I know that breaking any habit, especially nicotine, is very difficult . . . have you spoken with your med doc about using patches to wean you down . . . the changes that you have made though are fantastic and you are going about it the correct way in my opinion . . .small changes and building up . . . I would probably say that you should look at reducing alcohol consumption  . . .if you are having let's say 2 beers twice a week and 5 on two weekend nights, then you are doing 14 beers more or less per week . . . alcohol can trigger and/or intensify anxiety for some --- perhaps really limit yourself to 1 beer per week night and no more than 2 beers a night on a weekend and only if you really want a beer . . . .sometimes we drink alcohol more out of social convention and habit . . . but if your self-assessment of your beer consumption is correct and one or 2 beers is not really 3 or 4, then that's a decision you need to make about the impact on your system . . . if you are interested in detoxing, alcohol affects your liver which is the main organ for cleaning out toxins . . . I don't think abstention is necessary unless there is a reason such as it does trigger anxiety, but I would recommend looking at minimum amounts . . . I do not know about alcohol content of homemade beer as it may be higher than commercial brands . . . you would be more versed in that . . . .

As to other things  . . . do you have a consistent sleep pattern? Turning off all electronics at least 30 minutes before going to bed? Going to bed and getting up more or less at the same time (this helps establish a routine for melantonin)? have you considered volunteer work . . .doesn't have to be major but often in helping others, it helps us to take the edge off our anxiety and helps us to keep connected to the outside world?

I think you are doing fine . . . .perhaps after your new routines are entrenched in your daily life, you might look at rationing your cigarettes and figuring out how much alcohol from your homemade beer is in what you drink . . . but every step that you have taken would be a recommended one in my book . . . oh, sometimes and it is often hard to get started, keep a journal of how the changes are affecting you or of any events that might trigger your anxiety so you can start managing them also . . . great news of what you are doing . . .keep us up to date when you can . . .take care, kc
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xosammy

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: What I am doing today for my anxiety.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:59:40 AM »
I think your doing an excellent job :) that only part id change ( just to help with the anxiety ) would be the drinking & smoking. But you are to a fantastic start. Keep it up!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: