Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Health Anxiety or OCD?  (Read 98 times)

Offline servo75

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Health Anxiety or OCD?
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
I generally have problems with OCD (door checking, hand-washing, etc.) but have also always been ultra health-conscious to the point of hypochondria.  My latest thing is checking my lymph nodes.  Despite assurances from recent doctor visits, I still have intense fear that I will find one.  I've been able to discipline myself by only "allowing" myself to check every two hours.  It's a health anxiety, but the main thing I feel is the compulsion to keep checking, as if maybe I missed something before.  The problem is that unlike the door-checking, if I'm at the office I can't go home to check the door, whereas my neck is right there and it's much more tempting.  I wonder if this is pure health anxiety or if it's mainly OCD because of the neck checking, and the fact that I seem to be focused in on glands and other health concerns don't bother me as much.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Health Anxiety or OCD?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
I'm not a mental health professional but I would call it HA as a result of OCD.  I've been diagnosed as OCD but I don't have the compulsive hand washing etc just compulsive thoughts.  Typically it manifests as HA but can also manifest as GAD.  It sucks because you can't stop and you're right, so easy to keep checking and re-checking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline emily1994

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 08:04:32 PM »
Yeah, I agree with the user above me. I have had OCD for a really long time, and it has manifested into hypochondria (along with the same OCD tendencies).
Bookmark and Share

Offline servo75

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 08:45:07 PM »
That makes a lot of sense, especially since the HA is very specific to node-checking and not more general in nature.  Thanks!  :happy0151:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: