Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Help getting off of Lexapro  (Read 185 times)

Offline gm5582

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Help getting off of Lexapro
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:50:24 PM »
I've been on Lexapro for over 7 years now for my anxiety and panic attacks.  It's been a life saver (literally).  But now my husband and I want to have children and we have decided that the only way to do that is if I am off all medications during my pregnancy.  I tried weening off the Lexapro last year and had a very hard time doing it, but at the same time I was going through a rough patch with some family issues.   

Now I'm ready to try again.  Any suggestions from anyone that has tried to get off medication completely?

So far, I've learned that drinking alcohol is a huge NO NO  :angry-smiley-034: and I can't drink regular coffee every day  :traurig001: and lastly that I definitely have to do at least 30 minutes of cardio everyday.  But I need help with the everyday anxiety that I feel and that I fear I will feel. 

I'm actually making myself anxious thinking of getting off the meds.  What if I can't do it? 

Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

XOXO
*G
Bookmark and Share
*GM5582*

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help getting off of Lexapro
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:46 PM »
It's been a life saver (literally).  But now my husband and I want to have children and we have decided that the only way to do that is if I am off all medications during my pregnancy.

You probably didn't need to go off Lexapro to have a baby. With the exception of Paxil it is unclear that antidepressants significantly increase the odds of birth defects or complications. Studies have reported slightly higher incidents of defects, but there doesn't seem to be a common pattern to them which may indicate the studies aren't showing a real issue, but just reporting statistical noise. The problem is that the number of patients in each study tends to be low, the defects tend to be mostly the rare ones and the increases they report are often small.

To complicate matters,  there is a large and ever growing body of evidence that maternal anxiety (and depression) can adversely affect the fetus, both immediately, and later in life. They tend to have lower birth rates (PDF), be born prematurely and have impaired neuronal development (PDF). As children and adults they are more prone to asthma, dyslexia and to have learning difficulties. They are also much more likely to develop anxiety disorders and/or depression later in life.

Any suggestions from anyone that has tried to get off medication completely?

Most people can get off Lexapro by dropping the dose by 5mg every 1-2 weeks. If that is still uncomfortable then try coming off in 2.5mg steps. Alternatively, Lexapro is available in liquid form which would enable you to drop by 1mg at a time, perhaps even less.

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline gm5582

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Re: Help getting off of Lexapro
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 11:13:07 AM »
Thanks Insights. 
Bookmark and Share
*GM5582*

Tags: