Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: No sensations of hunger. Can still eat  (Read 185 times)

Offline DarnedSphynx

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
No sensations of hunger. Can still eat
« on: March 10, 2014, 06:36:42 AM »
Hey there folks,
For about the past two weeks, I've noticed that I have had literally no feeling of hunger. I can still eat though without having to force myself. I just haven't FELT hungry. That is literally my only symptom.
Of course, I googled this and everything sunder the sun came up, such as cancers and devistating diseases.

I just wanted to try to grab some opinions on this, and was really wondering if anyone else has ever had to deal with it. Is it something normal? I am a 23 year old female, husband and I are trying to conceive, so that could be a factor I suppose.  I have no other health issues, but of course after googling that this could be a symptom of ovarian cancer (or any cancer) I'm freaking out pretty badly.

I would really appreciate the help guys.

Thanks in advance,
Sphynx
Bookmark and Share
Your life is not based on the things that happen to you. It's based on your reactions.

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: No sensations of hunger. Can still eat
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
That happens to me a LOT - has my whole life since I was in grammar school!  (I'm 55 now!)...  the only thing I ever did was credit that with keeping me thin.  Sometimes for weeks and weeks I will feel FULL, bloated, not even WANT to eat, but then I START eating and viola!  It all goes away and I can eat fine.  If I DON'T eat then I continue to feel full, bloated and not hungry at all.  The only reason I do eat at those times is because I know I have to. - and like I said once I start it's fine.   Is that what happens to you?
I never even heard of that being anything bad, good thing I didn't know that way back when!
I rarely am hungry (and I am NEVER thirsty!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:17 AM »
Hi there sphynx,

Just like sunlover, I've been having this as well.

This started a month ago when the doctors told me my stomach acid was acting up. I was put on 4-weeks of prilosec and the symptoms have greatly subsided, but not completely.

I know how it feels not to be hungry. There were times I just had to eat for the sake of eating because I would get this full feeling on my neck and even cheeks!

Since I took the meds, there have already been numerous occasions that I've felt genuine hunger. Some days, there aren't but sometimes there are. Still kinda scared that the symptoms have not disappeared completely.

Like you, I am 23 years old too. Scares me to death that this is you know what. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline DarnedSphynx

Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 10:37:57 AM »
Thank you so much guys. It means so much to know that I'm not alone. Sometimes it feels like that's half the battle.
Heck, I'm sitting here in my college class and the random thought of "what if this is stomach cancer?" Came into my mind and I almost went into an anxiety attack. Burgandyplace, yes! It is very similar to that. There's absolutely no pain. I'm not feeling sick. I can definitely eat enough for an army, but that doesn't build the hunger.

Sunlover, before you went to your doc, would you get almost these random burning sensations in your stomach? That's what I'm getting... I'm wondering if that's what is going on.

I am so beyond scared of having something deadly, like ALL THE TIME, as I know so many people on this site do. It drives the hubby nuts. It's becoming very debilitating.
Bookmark and Share
Your life is not based on the things that happen to you. It's based on your reactions.

Offline DarnedSphynx

Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 10:41:15 AM »
Whoops, sorry I mixed up who posted what. Posting on this site via iPhone doesn't work so well
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 05:53:39 AM »
Thank you so much guys. It means so much to know that I'm not alone. Sometimes it feels like that's half the battle.
Heck, I'm sitting here in my college class and the random thought of "what if this is stomach cancer?" Came into my mind and I almost went into an anxiety attack. Burgandyplace, yes! It is very similar to that. There's absolutely no pain. I'm not feeling sick. I can definitely eat enough for an army, but that doesn't build the hunger.

Sunlover, before you went to your doc, would you get almost these random burning sensations in your stomach? That's what I'm getting... I'm wondering if that's what is going on.

I am so beyond scared of having something deadly, like ALL THE TIME, as I know so many people on this site do. It drives the hubby nuts. It's becoming very debilitating.

I've been like that for most of my life. Never really felt hungry used to be able to go all day without eating then eat something small at like 3am or only eat once in the afternoon. After getting sick recently I still don't really feel hungry but I feel like I need to eat every 4-5 hours. While hard to describe, if I don't eat frequently I'll get almost a burning sensation in my throat that goes away as soon as I eat. Any type of stress or anxiety can affect your appetite as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:06:03 AM »
Sphynx,

Oh my god, yes! I actually experienced this 3 years ago. That it was even scarier. It went away after 2 weeks of omeprazole.

Well last month, the bloating and burping returned. Only after the 3rd week did the "hungry" sensation in the tummy came back. Right now, the burping and bloating have subsided but the gnawing/hunger pangs have returned although they are not as bad as before. I am still worried though!

They go away after I eat and sometimes they return, and sometimes they don't until my next full meal.

Ryze, wow, we're on the same boat more or less. Have you been to the doctors about it and how are you feeling lately?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 09:02:59 PM »
Yeah I was worried it could be reflux since I'd have a constant mucus nausea almost burning in the throat feeling and in the mornings I'd usually wake up feeling nauseous and have the occasional acidic burp. I had a sinus infection at the time and since I had no history of any stomach problems or reflux my doctor told me it was most likely from the post nasal drip. Since I didn't have a runny nose he told me all of the mucus would flow back down my throat and into my stomach. This mucus would build up and since its hard to digest it would sit around in my stomach causing me to feel bloated and full even if I hadn't eaten. Eating would help because the food would sort of soak up the mucus and get rid of some of the nausea. Once the mucus was digested and since I had no food in my stomach that's when I'd get hungry. I was given steroids and some antibiotics and now I feel like I just eat frequently because of anxiety. I feel hungry in the mornings but a few hours later I'll get the burning in the throat I should eat feeling again. Usually I'll eat because I feel like I'm going to be nauseous if I don't, however I've gone hours with not eating if I stayed busy and the feeling completely went away until I thought about it. I had blood work done since I figured the nausea feeling from not eating could be low blood sugar but my test results came back fine which makes me think it's all anxiety at this point.
Bookmark and Share

Offline burgundyplace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 05:33:42 AM »
Hi Rhyze, thanks for the input. I haven't had any nausea actually. Just bloating, burping, and some gnawing feeling that comes and goes after I eat.

Also not feeling hungry for the past month since this issue returned. Were you on meds?

Sphyx, how are you doing right now?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ryze

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 06:36:39 AM »
Never been on meds except these last two months. Even then it's only been about 2 weeks worth of antibiotics about a month apart and one week of cortisteroids. The cortisteroids were the only thing that increased my appetite.  Since I've been off them I've been eating mostly just because I feel like I should. Strangely I get really hungry around 5 in the morning for some reason.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DarnedSphynx

Sick
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 11:53:47 PM »
Thank you so much guys. Ryze, I think I'm dealing with something similar. Day before yesterday (Monday) I was finally feeling hunger pains and now today I am pretty much back to normal
Bookmark and Share

Tags: