Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Petrified of Pancreatic Cancer; horrible health anxiety  (Read 715 times)

Offline hotmess

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Petrified of Pancreatic Cancer; horrible health anxiety
« on: March 09, 2014, 10:58:56 AM »
Hi-

I am new to the forum and need some serious help. I have horrible health anxiety and it's spiraling out of control.

Since December, I have been suffering with digestive issues. It started with nausea then a weird pressure on my upper right abdomen (i'm always thinking this is a tumor) which has remained ever-present since then.  I moves onto serious bloating after meals, early saiety, loss of appetite (I lost 15 lbs since this began) lots of belching. Now I have pain in my back that runs up to my shoulder and eye (usually on my right side). My stomach has pains that are on the far left.  Sometimes the area with the every-present pressure twitches and is sharp.

I have been to 6 (yes 6) doctors. My GP did an ultrasound on my pelvic area looking for a cyst (came out fine) I saw a general surgeon who though it was my gallbladder.  I had a HIDA scan which came back normal at 59%. He then did an upper endoscopy which also came out fine. I then saw 2 more GI doctors who recommended a CT Scan and a gastric emptying study. I am petrified that I have pancreatic cancer as one of the doctors wanted to look for that.  I had my pancreas tested and my lipase is slightly elevated at 66 (the rest of my CBC came back normal).  I am so scared as high  lipase indicates something wrong with the pancreas.

As I stand now, my appetite has returned but the belching, pressure on the right side, stomach pain and back pain remain. The pain moves around the back.  I have lost faith in the medical community as all they do is throw expensive tests at me and haven't even given me a clue to what this could be. I am scared to take the CT scan as it is expensive and I don't want to be exposed to all that radiation. Not just that, but I'm afraid at what they'll find.

This has been a nightmare with no end in sight.  I cry constantly and my relationships with other people are suffering (especially my SO).  I'm on the internet obsessively looking for what might be wrong and it always turns out to be cancer. I can't understand why this is happening to me. I'm generally a healthy person who was in good shape until December.  I'm only 36 years old and cancer doesn't run in my family.

This whole ordeal has ruined my life and I keep waiting for more bad news.

I'm in therapy , but it's not helping.  I have had 2 panic attacks since this started.

Someone please help me.  I think I'm going nuts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Petrified of Pancreatic Cancer; horrible health anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 04:36:32 PM »
Do you have reflux? i get heartburn with the belching and pressure in the ribs. Did you have the tests done? did you find out anything else? good luck I know the feeling!
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:46:04 PM »
Hi,
Sorry for the late reply, but I just joined. I wanted to let you know that I too have felt like I may have pancreatic cancer, but I have a good reason for that. My grandpa and great uncle both died of it. Both of my parents are diabetic also. I always tell the doctors about my family history, so they have done extensive testing to reveal all is well. I have many GI issues like gastric dumping syndrome (from losing the gallbladder), LPR (silent reflux), and reactive hypoglycemia (thanks to the dumping syndrome. I don't have low blood sugar, I just feel like I do). I am dizzy 24/7, so I was certain I had some cancer. Why else would the endless doctor visits and thousands in tests not reveal nothing?

Not only is pancreatic cancer rare, if you don't have a family history, you are at a way less risk. My grandpa complained of a stomach ache that happened all day every day. He then turned jaundice. The pain is usually on the right side. The pancreas is behind the stomach, and the pain usually drifts to the right. It is a throbbing sensation, and scans and tests will find the cancer.

I hope since March you are feeling better. I know how you feel.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cozy813

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:31:59 PM »
Scye27,
You may not even get this but I'm going to write it anyway. I'm sorry for both of your losses. It's such a difficult thing to go through. I just lost my mom unexpectedly and it's pure torture for all of us.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
Thanks Cozy, they went when I was still a teen, so it's been quite a while, but it's still appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: digestive GI Issues