Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Can someone please offer their input.  (Read 197 times)

Offline Alexk1989

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Can someone please offer their input.
« on: March 09, 2014, 09:01:18 AM »
Hello, name is Alex and I've read a lot of helpful stories on this site so I have come to share mine, and hopefully get some advice. For the past six months I've been dealing with headaches and a type funny visual perception where's I feel as though I am a bit drowsy or intoxicated. This all started with a stressful end to a school program and tough exams along dreaded presentations. To a point where I freaked out during one presentation though I was having a heart attack, left the school, went to the hospital, got checked out told I was fine, and then I came down. Now after the last day my classmates and I went out for drink n got pretty drunk. Next day when I went to a store and was standing In line I got this random out of nowhere feeling as though the room is starting to spin and I again thought it was my heart I freaked out left the store and after a while it subsided. Now these types of attacks lasted for a bout a month or so but then subsided. I thought it was something wrong with my brain so I started freaking out and got checked out n everything was fine. I've seen several psychologists and family doctors that all tell me it's anxiety. I don't get the panic attacks anymore but I do have the headaches...that go away if I'm really distracted but come back and get worse when I'm thinking about them or I'm irritated. Now I'm worried about having a severe mental illness such as skitzo...I've been obsessing over it and researching it and paying attention to my body and my thoughts and ideas for a large portion of my time. One thing that I wanted to ask you guys if this what I'm about to explain is hallucinations. At my job there's a medical record room and inside is a small chair where often times you find a person sitting picking out charts now you don't always see someone sitting there but most of the time there is someone. Today I walked by the door which was slightly open and I noticed the chair right away and in my mind I automatically pictured someone sitting there. I did not see the image in 3D in front of me just a sharp mental image. I also immediately in a split second realized nobody is there and it was just in my mind. This happens every now and then when I'm anticipating something. I'm also very aware of my surroundings as I'm worried at some point I will start to hallucinate smh. No family history of skitzo no drug use. Have always been a nervous person and have had bouts of worrying about health issues in the past that were all cleared up with tests and forgotten about. But now it's like, ahhh there's no test for skitzo....the psychologist said ... Talking to him is the test...and ten minutes into talking to be he can tell I'm not skitzo (21 years of experience). Help, please some advice.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billiam

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Can someone please offer their input.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 12:31:48 PM »
Hey man sorry to hear you going through this! I don't think what you are experiencing are hallucinations. Just you mind working over time! And also most ppl who are going skitzo don't realize or know they are going. So sounds to me that you are thinking about it and are aware of that condition so I don't think your going skitzo! Hopefully some other ppl can chime in on here! Wish you all the best my friend!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:56 PM »
Thank you sir for your input and yes I've thought of that also, the docs I saw told me I'm hyper-vigilant and at most am misinterpreting stimuli (illusions).

One more occurrence I wanted to share.

A while back I was in my room and my gf came and said she's about to go walk the dog, which she did and then returned. She then went to the other room and was there for a while, I was distracted and busy reading something in my phone. Then I heard a voice or a thought I don't know saying "Alex open the door!!" Seemed so real I got up to go check and half to the room my gf was in I thought hmmmm I remember her coming back in the house. Upon reaching the room that she was in the tv was on fairly loud and I heard the same voice on the tv that I heard telling me to open the door. Could I just have been distracted and my brain misinterpreted what it heard or what?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Billie

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 12:48:29 PM »
I'm sorry you're dealing with this, it does sound a lot like anxiety. Our brains just get busy and don't pay attention to everything so sometimes they fill in a few details, but I wouldn't worry about it. Trust your doctor. Try to go about your routine as normally as you can. I would recommend trying to avoid any more research as that can be a compulsion in itself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:16:06 PM »
Thanks fellas, I researched the stuff so much I can teach it to someone. To be honest I obsess over whatever I do, even when I was in school and got really into it studied 24/7. Similar with gym going, if I don't go for a day I used to feel horrible about it. Now it's with this skitzo stuff, by far the unhealthiest obsession thus far smh. Obsessively checking and reading up, even the doc told me not to do it. Anyways though, three psychologists, and the family doc that knows my fam all say it's some sort of anxiety/panic/OCD. They did not wanna zero in on anything because they said their all essentially treated at the same root.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluecanary

• ...in the outlet by the light switch
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • A life lived in fear is a life half lived.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
I'm sorry you're going through this. As someone with OCD, I can relate to a lot of what you've posted. I think everyone has misheard things from time to time, or seen something out of the corner of their eye that wasn't really there when they turned their focus on it. Because we have anxiety, we're constantly monitoring for threats that aren't really there, and sometimes your imagination, as Billie puts it, fills in the blanks. I don't have schizophrenia or any other psychosis, so if someone who does experience these symptoms knows differently, they can feel free to set me straight, but from everything I've read about hallucinations, you would be hearing/seeing them very clearly, as if there were another person in the room with you. It wouldn't be a question of, "What was that? I think I heard something."

I still struggle with a lot of the same fears you have, so it's a process. One thing that a lot of people around here will tell you is to stay away from Dr. Google - researching your symptoms is almost universally bad, because you'll start convincing yourself you've got everything under the sun. It's hard to avoid the temptation, but it's better for you overall. Try to keep in mind that your doctor has studied, and he's trained to see signs of illness in people. If he doesn't see those signs in you, that's a good thing. Try to keep that in mind.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 04:35:24 PM »
Thank you blue canary for taking time out to write up an answer. Some more info on the situation may be that...I always experience the symptom that I am currently obsessing about. Once I find a reasonable no scary explanation for one I'll jump to the next smh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Alexk1989

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »
Trying hard not to read stuff up smh...just trying to get an understanding on my hearing occasion do that I can accept it and move on. The thing that scares me the most is that these predorm symptoms for psychosis are so common and similar to a bunch of other things. It's like if u question ten random people of the street, nine of the could be at risk smh. But then again professionals know exactly what to look for.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: